Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
The car comes from the factory with 6x8s. 5x7/6x8 are direct replacements. You can't put 6x9s in without cutting some metal away. The basket on a 6x9 is simply too large to put in the area made for the 6x8.

·
Registered
118 Posts
5 X 7

I place 5 X 7 's made by kickers, and they rock my car, with two 10" woofers (by kicker) in a box in the back, with a 5 channnel amp (by kicker), it puts about 1000watts, the sound is very clear and clean, and yet very powerful and loud.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i didnt have to cut anything at all. how i found out what my size speakers were is i asked a guy where i purchased them and he told me 6x9s. but again, i didnt have to cut anything at all. just screwed them in. perfect fit.

I just don't think so. Every other Ford I have ever had came with 6x8s, and 6x9s did not fit right. The basket is too big to fit into the recessed hole and the holes for the screws don't line up correctly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The stock speakers are in fact 5 X 7, and 6 X 9's would have to be frabricated into the door well, I was there when my 5 X 7 where removed, no room for 6 X 9's

·
Registered
118 Posts
that I can BELIEVE !

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nah, don't feel like an [bootyshake]. It's an honest mistake.

Really, tho, there is not really any difference in sound quality between a 6x8 and a 6x9. It's just not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what will sound better overall?
I have a sedan and i am killing myself trying to figure out what to do about door speakers.
should i get 2 sets of component speakers
(Infinity Reference 6800cs Reference Series 5"x7"/6"x8" Component Speaker System)

or 1 set of components for front and 6x8 in rear

or 2 sets of 6x8 all in one speakers.
(Infinity Kappa 572.5cf 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way Speakers

i have a factory sub right now to use for bass. (future upgrade)
I am planning on getting a pioneer mp3 HU, and a pioneer eq (hopefully both in dash. I know i will need to cut) and a mtx or rockford fosgate 70 watt per, 4 channel amp.
I guess my main question is do i really need the 6x8 for the little extra bass they will give me or can i get by with 5.25 round component? I hear that the round component ones will have much clearer sound.

[???:)] HELP!![???:)]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Get at least 1 set of components, they will give a nice clean sound with the separate tweeters - try to listen to them in a car audio demo room somewhere to make up your mind. I have 5.25" components front and rear as well. For the rear set you can go with the coax as it will just fill in some base for you - mine is turned down with -6 db or so compared to the front.

What amp will you use to power the sub? Or you want to use the HU to power the rear speakers?

Simply put, 5.25s can give you very nice sound in the rear, but if your system is set up correctly you won't notice the difference between them and some nice 6x8s as the front speakers should provide most of the power.

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
The factory speakers are 6x8. If you've ever installed 5x7s in a Ford you will notice that the mount tabs are on the outside of the speaker housing where 6x8s are inside the speaker housing. I have a 6.5" set of MB Quart components in the front and a set of 5.25 coaxials from JL Audio in the rear. I would suggest getting a round speaker because they give out a more realistic sound than an oval speaker will. I had to fabricate plate adapters for the front doors and bought some plate adapters for the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
blue,
thanks for the input.
the factory sub has something that looks like a amp hooked to it. I hope to use that till i can get a new sub. Will a high quality amp and sub of the same size, 8" give me good loud clean bass, or will i need to go to bigger size sub and new box. I dont need people 3 miles away to hear me, i just want it to sound great. The factory one sounds ok, but lacks ALOT.
I plan on powering all four main speakers with the new 4 way amp. Will this sound good? Real good?

EggBill, thank you also. I dont think i want to do alot of messing around to get the speakers in there. If i can ever get use to the weird zx3 rear end, I may get a 5 door svt. that is mainly why i dont want to do alot of things that will take alot of work to do on this car. I bet your system sounds great though!

Sorry my questions are so sporadic, but i have been thinking about this for awhile now. Went to stereo store today and i think i am going to get the pioneer stuff. Those little rooms at Audio King didnt really help me with speaker choice though. whats the best speaker pair i can get for under $200?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I heard the rounder the speaker the better....if this is true, 6x8 would sound better than 6x9, and 6x8 will sound the same as a 5x7, but the 6x8 will be louder than 5x7 because of more surface area....and adapter plates are the best way to go if you want 6x9, but I don't see how it would be worth the effort unless you just want 6x9s.

unless you have a really keen ear (like you are blind and your hearing compensated for loss of sight), you probably won't be able to tell too much of a difference between these different speaker sizes. Now different brands are a completely different issue all together because of the materials they use...some materials have their own "natural resonance" (which basically means at certain frequencies the material causes sound distortion because of it's own vibration)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
"I heard the rounder the speaker the better..."
This is true, think of it as a piston. Have you ever seen an oval piston? The oval cone will flex more, creating more distortion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts