Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '07 liquid grey ST with the street appearance package...

what size rims should i get. I went online and 19s will fit, but i dont want it to be that you look at the car and all u see is the rims.

Should i just get 17s and lower it? Or get bigger tires and and leave the stock suspension. I love the way the car drives now.

thanks,
the curry

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Seriously, 16's and 17's are what belong on a focus.

·
Rebecca
18,758 Posts
yeah 17's. If you got 19's, if you hit a bump, you would blow your tire cuz you would have like 2 inches of rubber between your rim and the road, plus the ride wouls suck. Lowering it with 17's is a great combo, just make sure you get an offset between 45 and 50 mm's.

·
Registered
281 Posts
and nothing wider then 8" unless u want some awsom fender rub when you hit some bumps. even with a 1 1/2" drop rub was a problem unless i needed stiffer shocks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lightweight 17's and around a 1.5" drop look really good and with 215/45's you shouldn't have any clearance or speedo problems. The Sportline 2.2"/2.0" drop looks good but I scrape occasionally with my 1.6" drop. The Euro SVT rims are on sale at tirerack.com for $99 a piece and they're only 20lb's - only half a pound heavier than the stock 16" alloys. Rota used to make the Slipstreams in 17x7.5 and they weighed somewhere in the 14lb range but I couldn't find them in a search the other day. zxtuner.com had them listed until he revamped the site but he's still working on it so he might still be able to get them.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i'd say 16s/17s. personally, i wouldnt go past 16, b/c 15s look to small, and 17+ will slow you down(most of the time) but nooo not 19s please!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Personally I'm a fan of 18's on a focus, I'm running 18 x 7.5's I love the look and how they fill out the wheel wells + a sportline drop just makes it plain SICK!

ps. shouldn't this be in the wheel and tire section?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went with 17's and 40series on my St. Looks good IMO, I was considering 18's but I figured that it wasn't worth the extra weight and $. Depends on what you want, a trailer queen or do want the car to perform?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would definitly recommend the euro svt rims like mastodon said. They will be the right size and back spacing for your car, so thiers no chance of the tire rubbing your fender or frame. and at $99 I think I will get a set if the sale lasts a few more weeks. hope I can get them in black. as for tires try to stick with a 215/45r17, The 40 series will have better responce but they suck on the street.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Another vote for a 45 series tire. It will also help you fill the fender gap.

·
Registered
426 Posts
direboi said:
Personally I'm a fan of 18's on a focus, I'm running 18 x 7.5's I love the look and how they fill out the wheel wells + a sportline drop just makes it plain SICK!

I'm going off topic here...sorry. Hey direboi, do you have a better picture of your Focus with the 18's on? If you do can you post them in your gallery please. Thanks bro

·
Registered
343 Posts
2K5 FOCUS ST said:
I'm going off topic here...sorry. Hey direboi, do you have a better picture of your Focus with the 18's on? If you do can you post them in your gallery please. Thanks bro
hehe, yeah I do but the problem is they are at home and I'm deployed right now, sorry.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oscar Jackson lost a nice amount of power going to bigger wheels. Unless you're going with forced injection, stick with 16s or (GASP!) downgrade to 15's.

http://www.ojengineering.com/news.php#

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm sorry but I kind of get tired of hearing the lost power thing. No offense intended to anyone who has said this but, it's pointless, let me explain:

When I switched to 18's comming from the 15's from the factory (hub caps) I actually lost weight but the rolling mass caused me to loose a little bit of speed, not so much that the car was utterly slow, just a little that I noticed on my first trip to the track with the new rims. Mind you it wasn't a significant loss.

Unless you plan on living at the track I don't belive the loss of power by going to bigger wheels makes a difference unless you buy some kind of 100lbs per wheel setup. I understand that you guys are concerned with the power loss, but I'm rolling 18's with no issues, yes I do go to the track often but I sacraficed some performance for looks and I'm happy.

In my opion 15's and 16's are too small for the focus, yes the look good on hondas but our cars have a way larger body, 18's look proportioned(sp?) to the car in my opinion. Once again I don't mean to offend anyone with my opinion I just felt the need to voice that unless you are going to live for better track times 18s are not that bad as long as you don't get something super duper extra heavy.

Alex.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Run 16s or 17s max if the roads in your area are less than stellar. I've already had to replace my wheels due to potholes and that was on 16s. If you're looking at big brake kits in the future you should probably stay with 16/17s as well. Look in this link for ideas.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78663

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
I run 18's with sportlines (2"F 2.2"R) and I think it looks great. They only weigh about 19 lbs. and to tell you the truth I agree with direboi its not like the car got any slower. I run a 35 series tire though and you do have to be careful around town ....... but its worth it ..... looks gr8. I really want to get coilovers so I can drop it at least .5-.75 more inches. Check my gallery for pics ..... those are old though when I had a 40 series tire, and YES it rubbed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts