Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to get colored lug nuts for my stock rims to give off a little bit more of an aftermarket look, but i've heard aftermarket lugs on stock rims is dangerous? I also heard that a certain style of aftermarket lug would be ok too. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll move this to the Wheels & Tires section where most of these questions end up.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I just want to get colored lug nuts for my stock rims to give off a little bit more of an aftermarket look, but i've heard aftermarket lugs on stock rims is dangerous? I also heard that a certain style of aftermarket lug would be ok too. Thoughts?
not dangerous, unless you got the wrong type.

also, I suppose if you got aluminum nut, and put them off/on too many times, might wear out the threads or stretch them.

you will need lugs that match the thread pitch and diameter of the studs, also the seat needs to match the wheels (conical).
I hestitate to quote a lug size, because im not sure on the mk3.

my favourite lug nuts are the Gorilla spline drive. you can get them quite cheap on Amazon, and they are narrow, of you ever get aftermarket wheels that cant fit a bit lug wrench on.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just remember to store the socket in the car for use when needed, & double check that it works with the stock lug wrench for emergencies.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Just remember to store the socket in the car for use when needed, & double check that it works with the stock lug wrench for emergencies.
smart man!

They should come with a sticker/note that lists a code for the key. I'd suggest ordering a second key to keep around just in case you lose one. I kept one in my car and then a the second in the garage. When I only had one, sometimes i would forget to put the key back in the car after working on the car.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
those are the nuts i have, but in silver. the key uses a 3/4" (19mm) or 13/16" wrench. a mk 1 focus came with 3/4" nuts, so it was a match there.

spare keys are about $10 shipped. should be the 1921SD key.
lol just realized it stands for 19mm 21mm spline drive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts