Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on lowering the position of my shift knob by using a cutting die to move the threads downward and cutting the excess off of the top. Does anyone know the thread size off of the top of their head? I've tried searching and can't find it. Someone told me before but the post was lost deep in the forums. Thanks for any help![wiggle] Also I can do a write-up on this mod even if there is a want amongst the community.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please excuse my double post I just noticed there was a recent post which has the thread size (12x1.25). I can still post a write up if anyone would like to see one. Planning on tackling this project after my classes today.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I plan on doing as well, unfortunately I need to buy the die online as none of my local stores carry a 12x1.25 die.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dang man I have access to done but getting married Saturday and leaving for a week or I could possibly get you one most people that can get to a snap on dealer or matco should have one

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah unfortunately I have neither of those near me.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh sweet that's not too far from me. If I drive out there could I buy the correct size die from them?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It might be hard to track them down cus they move from dealer to dealer I'm surprised that lows or depo does not have a tap and die set that includes one that size

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the diameter of the shaft is any larger than .472", you're going to have a hell of a time turning that die unless you turn the shaft down.

It looks like the shaft gets wider after the stock threads, but that's just an observation.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's official no hardware store in Louisville carries 12x1.25. I tried home depot, lowes, pep-boys, sears, napa auto, advanced auto parts, autozone, brownsboro hardware, and harbor freight.

·
Registered
609 Posts
that's mental, I got a tap and a die from napa same day. Sorry if I had the part numbers I'd post them good luck getting them though

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks I'm probably going to have to just order them offline. How difficult was it for you to thread your shifter?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I didn't really re -thread it just needed to clean the threads up some tried quite a few knob and boot combos

·
Registered
609 Posts
But that part was a piece of cake really

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went back to Napa and they special ordered me one. should be here Monday.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Did you check to see if the diameter of the shaft is appropriate for the thread? Usually the shaft increases in diameter after the threads. There is NO way to thread that if it's a larger diameter with just a die, you will need to turn it down.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts