Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new focus should be delivered this week (at least I hope so, it's almost a week late at this point). In various threads when people have list some of the problems they have had others often say, "You should have not accepted the car in that condition." This leads to the question, "What should I inspect before I sign the paperwork on the new Focus?"

Should I go over the exterior/interior/under the hood with a fine tooth comb? Test drive? What are the common things that have been seen as issues that I should be looking out for? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Look for things like :

and

They are very rare, but why not pay attention before then crying after ?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Inspect EVERYTHING.

Go over every inch of the car you dropped $22k+ on.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Test drive: yes a must. and actually test stuff. YOu can put on ten to fifteen miles as a fair drive. If no gas in car, go right on and buy two gallons (some places have only a half gallon in the tank to hinder test drives!)
IF you get a chance to read an owners manual first, to find the switches, or have the saleman with car off show you all the gizmos and the knobs, etc..
Drive it long enough to warm up, two miles should do to start testing stuff after the warm up
Then try changing the gears, try sport, try each with the button if you get that feature. go to bad roads, listen for noises over bumps, concrete for noises, swerve a little (in a safe place) see how it feels? any noises? Check the air conditioning even if it is 10F outside. cheack the heat even if it is 110F outside.
Drive wit hthr radio offwith window open all sorts of combos..
Check as many lights, wipers (PS Focus wipers do a waddle across glass, normal, need RainX or something to lub glass), washer, radio CD, etc as you can. roll the windows down and up Go around corners slow, fast. back up twenty feet. parallel park if it has the auto park feature. make a U turn Adjust the steering wheel, the seats. Check the trunk/hatch. Use the dodads...
Check the key fob to open stuff, close stuff.
LOOK at the interior: any stains? any scuffs. check the headliner for fit, stains?
Check the seats all around for tears stains fitment. The doors for fitment!!

Outside, check the paint look at every panel. close up. tilt your head to look for wavyness. Check the doors, the hood the roof, the plastic and rubber strips around all the stuff
Open the hood, look at the engine (not much to see in there, most stuff in there is going to look Ok even if it is not, but good to look..) Then you can see how well the hood closes easy? Check fit of hood to fenders (mine is a little low, but no problem)
When you look at the paint, see of it is glossy and perfectly smooth. If has 'orange peel' too thick, or drips. really not good. (usually those problems are in thick colors, like solid White ) or for metallic colors eveness of metallic spray: interesting as a metallic CAN be sprayed to enhance edges, or just evenly. Some hate the edge enhanced look. so check metallic paint well for eveness of color and metalness.

PS if it is raining out, get them to take it into the shop. and look at it there!

Now if anything is a problem get it fixed before you sign and take the car.
If they promise to fix it.. well how well do you know the dealer? The only way i would accept the word of the saleman is if they arranged for the shop visit and YOU spoke to the shop advisor and the say yes we will fix it on this day XXX.

If it is a major paint issue: DO NOT BUY THE CAR. Paint is the hardest thing to get fixed to your satisfaction. They cannot 'do it instantly, and it most likely will NOT be good enough (unless they have not sold the car yet..) And do not make a 100% promise to buy the car if they fix paint. tell them you have to SEE the paint fix first. (and then you must see it under a ultravolet 'phased (Damn i cannot think of the right word for coherent light in one plane?) to see how bad they screwed it up!!)
So I would say most stuff (except physical body damage can get fixed. But paint? just asking for problems to accept a promise to fix ANY sort of paint issue. Especially a metallic color. a plain color is not nearly as much of a problem as a multi layer metallic repaint..

Alos the factoy paint is better, and will last way longer than any repaint done by a dealer or body shop. (only a few antique restorer types might actually do as good as a factory paint job. NEVER let anyone repaint for a trivial reason. (rant over.)

Any promises to get you to buy the car made by the saleman that are not fulfilled before you drive off the first time probably will NOT be kept.
(except standard one like can you have a free same day loaner if in for warranty? usually yes, for schedualed mantanance???)'Do you get xyz discount for mantainence? Free oil changes.. All this before you sign!!
So be aware of what is OK, and what is a problem on your almost yours new car.
Be prepared to walk away if it is not all you want.
They may offer a lot of money off if you are just walking out. but realize if it is a big issue... sometime money is not enough.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Look for chips, stains, scratches, fades, gashes, and other cosmetic things that can be blamed on you a week later.

Mechanical things can be fixed later when they come up.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Test drive: yes a must. and actually test stuff. YOu can put on ten to fifteen miles as a fair drive. If no gas in car, go right on and buy two gallons (some places have only a half gallon in the tank to hinder test drives!)
IF you get a chance to read an owners manual first, to find the switches, or have the saleman with car off show you all the gizmos and the knobs, etc..
Drive it long enough to warm up, two miles should do to start testing stuff after the warm up
Then try changing the gears, try sport, try each with the button if you get that feature. go to bad roads, listen for noises over bumps, concrete for noises, swerve a little (in a safe place) see how it feels? any noises? Check the air conditioning even if it is 10F outside. cheack the heat even if it is 110F outside.
Drive wit hthr radio offwith window open all sorts of combos..
Check as many lights, wipers (PS Focus wipers do a waddle across glass, normal, need RainX or something to lub glass), washer, radio CD, etc as you can. roll the windows down and up Go around corners slow, fast. back up twenty feet. parallel park if it has the auto park feature. make a U turn Adjust the steering wheel, the seats. Check the trunk/hatch. Use the dodads...
Check the key fob to open stuff, close stuff.
LOOK at the interior: any stains? any scuffs. check the headliner for fit, stains?
Check the seats all around for tears stains fitment. The doors for fitment!!

Outside, check the paint look at every panel. close up. tilt your head to look for wavyness. Check the doors, the hood the roof, the plastic and rubber strips around all the stuff
Open the hood, look at the engine (not much to see in there, most stuff in there is going to look Ok even if it is not, but good to look..) Then you can see how well the hood closes easy? Check fit of hood to fenders (mine is a little low, but no problem)
When you look at the paint, see of it is glossy and perfectly smooth. If has 'orange peel' too thick, or drips. really not good. (usually those problems are in thick colors, like solid White ) or for metallic colors eveness of metallic spray: interesting as a metallic CAN be sprayed to enhance edges, or just evenly. Some hate the edge enhanced look. so check metallic paint well for eveness of color and metalness.

PS if it is raining out, get them to take it into the shop. and look at it there!

Now if anything is a problem get it fixed before you sign and take the car.
If they promise to fix it.. well how well do you know the dealer? The only way i would accept the word of the saleman is if they arranged for the shop visit and YOU spoke to the shop advisor and the say yes we will fix it on this day XXX.

If it is a major paint issue: DO NOT BUY THE CAR. Paint is the hardest thing to get fixed to your satisfaction. They cannot 'do it instantly, and it most likely will NOT be good enough (unless they have not sold the car yet..) And do not make a 100% promise to buy the car if they fix paint. tell them you have to SEE the paint fix first. (and then you must see it under a ultravolet 'phased (Damn i cannot think of the right word for coherent light in one plane?) to see how bad they screwed it up!!)
So I would say most stuff (except physical body damage can get fixed. But paint? just asking for problems to accept a promise to fix ANY sort of paint issue. Especially a metallic color. a plain color is not nearly as much of a problem as a multi layer metallic repaint..

Alos the factoy paint is better, and will last way longer than any repaint done by a dealer or body shop. (only a few antique restorer types might actually do as good as a factory paint job. NEVER let anyone repaint for a trivial reason. (rant over.)

Any promises to get you to buy the car made by the saleman that are not fulfilled before you drive off the first time probably will NOT be kept.
(except standard one like can you have a free same day loaner if in for warranty? usually yes, for schedualed mantanance???)'Do you get xyz discount for mantainence? Free oil changes.. All this before you sign!!
So be aware of what is OK, and what is a problem on your almost yours new car.
Be prepared to walk away if it is not all you want.
They may offer a lot of money off if you are just walking out. but realize if it is a big issue... sometime money is not enough.
so basically, everything is what she is saying

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
418 Posts
When a person picks up a new car something happens to that person.
I't not unlike some sort of adrenolin Rush.
Your senses go into some sort of emotional lockdown.
You see nothing, you hear nothing, You feel nothing. You just sign.
The best is to take a friend along to give the car a lookover with different eyes.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The best is to take a friend along to give the car a lookover with different eyes.
The problem with that is if YOU are the friend.. Then they buy the car anyway, even though you agreed you were just looking. Later they blame YOU for not stopping them. I did try, i wish i had a video of the conversation!
Tell them "Do not buy this car" with the voice of authority? doesn't matter, they are hypnotized. So i do not offer to go with anyone when they want to look at cars anymore. (I am supposed to be the expert, but will they listen. Hell no!)
Been there, done that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The problem with that is if YOU are the friend.. Then they buy the car anyway, even though you agreed you were just looking. Later they blame YOU for not stopping them. I did try, i wish i had a video of the conversation!
Tell them "Do not buy this car" with the voice of authority? doesn't matter, they are hypnotized. So i do not offer to go with anyone when they want to look at cars anymore. (I am supposed to be the expert, but will they listen. Hell no!)
Been there, done that.
[8]

Or maybe the Friend gets Hypnotised as well and both You and the Friend walk out with new cars.

Better Still take your Lawyer along and maybe a Policeman as well, just in case.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Better Still take your Lawyer along and maybe a Policeman as well, just in case.
...While a police officer was there, like four or five of my buddies - and Neal taking notes. ...Don't forget her hair Robert!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile drive the car 10-15 m then feel for vibrations or shudders(seems like a big non fixable problem with ford) mine shudders when your stopped and u let the car go on it's own power, do not press on gas, don't buy thier story that it has to be broken in, I have 6500 mi and still have problem even with sw updates, run away if this happens

·
Registered
226 Posts
The problem with that is if YOU are the friend.. Then they buy the car anyway,
Usually, pepper spray, a [bash], a [boxface], or a[chair], or even a [nutkick] will cure that. Friendship might take a bit of a hit though. [;)]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed! Take a friend and look it over. I went and looked at mine on a day they were closed then went back the next day for the test drive. Look at it in direct sunlight to make sure the paint looks good and everything lines up. good luck on your new ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts