Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well all you know about my bad gas milage by now, and an oil change is coming up. So first im thinking about putting synthetic in the engine, should i or would it really not do anything. Ok now what order should i do, i already had the fuel filter replaced and that wasnt it, so im thinking ill change the spark plugs, and possibly put some FR plug wires on. then if that doesnt work, take it in to have the fuel pump checked, since there was a recall but, im sure the same crappy fuel pump is in my car. Then if that doesnt work, ill get a tune up, if you guys think its worth it. Should i try to get the tune up before getting the fuel pump checked, or will it be a waste of money??? Thanks guys

·
Registered
714 Posts
i would check and see if the fuel pump recall was performed on the vehicle to start out with and go from there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use Mobil-1 5W-20 synthetic, however, it is expensive. I’ve noticed better fuel economy with 5W-20, which is recommended for the Zetec engine. I would recommend synthetic motor oils, often it includes additional protective (synthetic) agents. 5W-30 has higher viscosity at higher temperatures. 5W-20 is thinner and flows better, and it should yield better fuel economy and fewer emissions. 5W-20 is recommend for a lot of engines. The feud between using 5W-20 vs. 5W-30 stems from pros and cons with each of them. During the summer, I often switch to 5W-30 synthetic

I’ve had FR wires for about a month now, and I honestly do not notice any difference in performance or fuel economy. Technically, since aftermarket plug wires produce more conductivity, a better spark should be created, yielding better fuel burns. I’ve herd great things about MSD. I don’t know the difference between the two, but in general, wires that have a lower ohms rating without radio interference should produce a better spark

Since you have a 03 model, the fuel pump recall should not apply. Many of the problems from the previous models were “solved” in the 03-04 models. Additionally, the 03 models have a lower EPA fuel economy rating for the ATX (I believe it is 24/30 for the ATX). I have an ATX and the best I’ve seen on exclusive highway is 30, and that is a rare occasion. You cannot rely on the EPA for exact fuel economy, I have never continuously logged exclusive (hard) city driving, but I have gotten as low as 60 miles in a quarter tank, which is about 18.18 mpg (60/3.3 ~= 18.18 assuming a 13.2 tank). And 20 in a more city/hw mix, a far cry from the EPA rating. Moreover, the 03 models produce more emissions than previous models. My city driving requires a lead foot or you’re going to get some angry drivers...

Hope this helps

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
well i know that i just put the msd coil and wires on and the car runs smoother and there are no flat spots in the power band like there used to be. i run royal purple and i switch from mobil. it is a better oil and yes its expensive, but the car runs very well on it and i love it. wouldnt run anything else.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im averaging below 20 miles per gallon in the city, and with mix of hwy the best i got out of it was like 23mpg. My car was built in fall of 02, so who knows maybe they only fixed it half way into the 03 year. And why do the 03s produce more emissions, what differences does my car have then a 02 or 01 atx?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am not 100% sure on the exact differences between the 02 and 03 models. I know that in 03, Ford added additional measures to reduce noise and engine vibration. I do not know the particulars, but they are probability subtle

I did a search and found the EPA’s website, which asserts that there must have been some changes made:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/compx2005f.jsp?year=2002&make=Ford&model=Focus&hiddenField=Findacar

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/compx2005f.jsp?year=2003&make=Ford&model=Focus&hiddenField=Findacar

The numbers show that emissions increased from 6.5 tons in 2002 to 6.8 tons in 2003. And fuel economy dropped from 26/32 in 2002 to 25/30 in 2003. These numbers are for the ATX and Zetec engine

Ford has made changes to the Zetec engine and placed them under different categories. I found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetec

Hope this helps…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts