Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading go with the steeda and all this but you cant get it anymore! how is the CFM? from what i understand its just a shorter shifter? Why would they charge $120 for a cut off stick? I really want one but all the info im reading is all over the place? can i get a clear answer on what the cfm really is or any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Get the Ford racing part, it's the same as the Steeda.

I have the B&M, and it's given me no problems. I just wish I'd removed the reverse lockout when I installed it.

BTW, all the STS's are basically shortened sticks. The way that the shifter works in the new Foci doesn't really allow for a mechanical method of shortening the shift throw. Basically, the shifter cable attaches to shifter rod about halfway up. Moving the cable attachment point up will shorten the throw, but movement in this direction is limited by the console, and the reverse lock out lever.

I'm not saying don't get one, just be aware of what you're going to get regardless of where you buy it. I've seen Tri-Ax shifters on Mustangs that have clever mechanical methods of shortening the action of the shift lever, but no such critter has been produced as yet for a Focus.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought you couldnt get the ford racing or steeda parts anymore. and i know b and m is a well known brand. are they still in production?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hah so that helps. the only shifter that people recommend isn't made anymore. go figure. is there any other options? im sick of my shifter!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow $195?! does that shifter actually change the pivot point or actually make it a short throw? and i dont have any kind of reverse lockout sleeve on my car. will that matter?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
NO the reverse lock out being gone won't hurt anything. It actually gets in the way IMO. I used the stock shifter knob, didn't like the aluminum B&M part. The pivot is at the base of the shifter, it does not change, like I said before it just moves the cable point up higher on the shifter rod. You'll see when you install yours.

I'm actually considering pulling mine back out, removing the reverse lockout, and then moving the cable point up as far as I can.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huh so then if its not really moving anything would it be more economical to just get the cfm since its technically doing the same thing? sorry i know im a pain i just dont wanna buy something i wont be happy with.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have a used steeda/FR STS with a steeda shift knob that is for sale. It is a true STS not a cut down version like the cfm. It moves the pivit point up on the rod to shorted the shifts.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was thinking $180 shipped. Also as for the B&M, I called them and they stopped making them due to a design flaw. The ones that are still out there are leftovers. Why said he has had no problems though. Just an FYI from when I looked into buying a B&M.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh wow now this is really becoming a pain haha. im thinkin of just going cfm for cost effectiveness. $180 for a used shifter seems kinda much

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well it comes with $30 dollar knob. I might just post it up in the for sale section at that price with OBO and see what offers people send. FR was suppling the shifters and Steeda bought up all of their stock when FR stop making/selling them. Now that Steeda is out of stock no one actually makes a true STS for the focus. The CFM is way cut down I was thinking of getting one of them but its way too short.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well why are you selling the steeda?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Going back to my Saleen STS, which is problably a FR with the reverse lock out removed. By the way the STS is now sold.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
n2o, how in the HELL could you put that up for sale WITHOUT TELLING ME FIRST?!!! i already talked to you a couple times about how i missed out when u were selling them b4, etc! ur killin me man, killin me![smackbum]

just no love, no love at all.[:(]

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
if it dosnt actually change the pivot , its not a short throw. i had the f2 one and i got rid of it cause i felt i could just chop mine down and get the same effect. steeda had one that was great, but they stopped making it.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts