Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just wondering what you guys shift at for everyday driving in the svt or other cars you own, without putting stress on the motor. I normally shift at about 3k but am wondering if anything above that for everyday use will hurt anything or stress the motor. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
3-4k when I had my old SVT, the Roots has so much TQ I rarely shift over 3k anymore

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
i usually shifted at 2500 from 1-2 and then about 2200 every other gear

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
7400 every gear

lol jk

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
For better gas mileage I shift between 2400 - 2800 ... Any lower than 2200 it seems to feel a bit like dying. (This is to just cruise through the streets)

For a more spirited drive, I shift between 3500 - 4500 just to enjoy the ride a bit more. (For the days you want to rip a head off, yell at the significant other, or let out some steam ... safely)

When I drove a VW I shifted around 3K as well. (More torque in the VDub)

-Ray-

·
Registered
708 Posts
For every day I shift between 2500 and 3000

For a more spirited drive as tukaniSVT put it, i shift between 3000 and 4500

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
2500-3000, rarely over three because it gets kinda loud with the ORP and then people think I'm trying to race them.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I normally shift between 3-4k and usually start off in 2nd, then 4th, then 6th in normal driving.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
2800 is what i shift at. but i drive like a grandma half the time

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
what about if I wanted to race at the dragstrip, what rpm then?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I shift at 2500 from first to second, then 2000 for every other gear change. Its great when I have a passenger in the car and they bash my for how slow my car is (due in part to my low shift points) then I pull to red line in first and second gear, they kinda shut up after that.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
What everyone above said, more or less (3000 to 4500, usually), although this morning I went redline through 1st and 4th racing onto the LONG straight onramp from the Key Bridge onto the GW Parkway (as I often do on that particular stretch of road, but this time both to overtake a Civic who rudely turned in front of me and shock an Audi S4 who had been riding my azz from the previous intersection)...

Gawd, that's fun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i shift like 2500-3000 i seem to get the best mpg i get around 26 no highway all stop and go now i put the exhaust and programer its seemd to drop to 23 and i havnt been hotroding ive been tryn to see what the best mpg i could get but idk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When your dragging, I'd rev it to like.... say 4k and drop it, then shift at 6550, which is where you start to lose power. Taking it all the way to redline may SEEM faster, but in reality, if you shift BEFORE redline where tq starts to drop off, you'll stay in the powerband better and accelerate faster.

Of course, this is coming from my brother who has an SVT, but for me in the SPI, it's foot down till it starts bouncing!!! haha, I kid, I kid. But really, my powerband is like..... 4300 to 5700... hahaha, and it's so annoying too, because when it starts going, IT'S STILL NOT FAST ENOUGH!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I shift at around 3k for every day driving and when someone is riding my a## I start out really slow in 1st and then punch it! Ha! Ha!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts