Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well....i blew my motor...i was running a precision turbo kit at 10psi (Garrett GT-28R) on stock internals....now i have my car back but bone stock....i was thinking about putting the boost back on but i want a safe psi so i dont blow it again....i plan to build the motor soon....but until then i need a high but safe PSI....thnx

·
Registered
965 Posts
well 10psi should be safe... it all depends on your tuning. What were you running for tuning before when you blew it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had it tuned from SCT but then i added a BOV and didnt get it tuned....maybe that would be the cause?..i dont know...10psi on stock internals.....isnt that a lot of pressure for a solid deck motor

·
Registered
108 Posts
i was running 10lbs on stock for over 6 months, no problem at all, its when i turned that sucker up to 18lbs on stock internals it lasted about 6 days ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18Lbs Jeez....did you want to blow it?.....well i had the 10lb for like 7 or 8 months until i put on the BOV and about 2 months after i put on the BOV i was racing a mustang on the highway and i shifted into 4th walking on this mustang i got past him and turned on my hazards.....i had about 2 cars at 125 and then all i see is smoke and my motors dies.....and im lke O shit.....Embarrasing ....lol....mayb was a bad tune....i git what i pay 4

·
Registered
381 Posts
y would you not get the BOV in the first place? They are cheap and are almost a must to have. Without one the charged air between shifts goes back into the turbo which is definitely not good for it also you probably had spikes in your boost pressure sine the charged air had no where to go when you shift and your TB closes. So even if you had it set at 10psi your engine probably was seeing 11-13 when you shifted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason i wasnt running a BOV was because i wasnt racing it and really had no need for one if i wasnt boosting crazy numbers and on the other side i didnt want to get a tune because that is more money for a piece of equipment that goes....whhoootshhhhh....but then when i started to push on it a little....well then i needed one...because yes i kno....when the TB closes there is no where for all that boost to go.....so where does it go?! right back out the turbo...in a process called back spin....which is bad...but in the end the turbo is fine.....very minor shaft play....

·
Registered
290 Posts
i had a GT28R running 10Psi for over a year with stock engine, had no issues at all.

I run no BOV, its not that bad that it'll do damage with in a few weeks, cosworths run no bov most of their modified life it isn't too much of a problem it reduces the life of the turbo sure, but Ball bearing turbos aren't as affected, still may cause the life of the turbo to be reduced, but its not like its going to fall apart with out one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from what everyone is tellingm me....10 psi isnt a bad number to run for a zetec...just bad tuning on it i guess threw the rod....i dunno

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You might have had it tuned WITH SCT products, but SCT didnt do the bad tune, the tuner who did it did a bad tune. Who tuned it is the question?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not saying it was SCT fault...just saying that i didnt re tune it when i installed the BOV

·
Registered
87 Posts
so like he said..Who tuned it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
a BOV isn't going to effect the running of the car on boost. it may make it back fire on lift off as it dumps the air if the BOV is inbetween the AFM and TB and if its an atmos type of course.

it shouldn't of made the engine go pop thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
danworth said:
a BOV isn't going to effect the running of the car on boost. it may make it back fire on lift off as it dumps the air if the BOV is inbetween the AFM and TB and if its an atmos type of course.

it shouldn't of made the engine go pop thats for sure.
that is what I was thinking. That is why I think it was bad tuning from the beginning. Did you have it dyno tuned with a wideband air/fuel? or was it with a tailpipe sniffer? The tailpipe sniffers are usually about a point off what it would be with a wideband. So your A/F might have been off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just realized that when i put the BOV on it started to run really rich....i had a liquidcoming out the tal pipe and it smelled of gas.... a lot...any input of how i can prevent it again when i put the boost back on would be great....

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's all in the tune man. On stock internals now, I'm at 12psi. I have bean up to 16 psi for 9 months befor I switched to a larger pulley. A tune is the most improtant part of any modification. Anyone in here who knows what they are talking about will agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts