Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Success! The SE is now much quieter and the ZX3 is much louder. Looking at the mounts side-by-side, I could not tell which one was good and which one was bad.
FYI, although the mounts are the same, the brackets are different enough that I was not able to swap the whole assembly and had to reuse the car-appropriate bracket. Not sure if it's a difference between model years or between the sedan and the hatch.
I did some research and I think the difference is manual vs automatic trans. Glad you made out ok.

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I didn't think about that, but it's possible. I'm always amazed at how many small differences there are between very similar vehicles. You would think they would streamline their production line and use the same parts more often.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I didn't think about that, but it's possible. I'm always amazed at how many small differences there are between very similar vehicles. You would think they would streamline their production line and use the same parts more often.
They do. The issue is that they were making 175-250K Focuses/year. Once you make 50K of a given part the cost doesnt come down that much if you make 100K+ of them. Sometimes its cheaper to makes several similar parts if it makes some of the engineering easier and save non-recurring cost there. The bean counters figure all ths out.

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I understand the production cost issues (or non-issue in this case), and it's not limited to the automotive world. But from an inventory and spare parts management point-of-view, it should still be more efficient to use the same part whenever possible. Of course, if the choice is between changing the bracket design or the transmission, the decision is easy.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts