Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good old 2002 ZX3 finally succumbed to New England winters. A control arm rusted off. Even if I could fix it, it's only a matter of time before the rust claims another part.

My daughter has a 2004 Focus SE. I already moved the better wheels and battery from the ZX3 to the SE. What other parts are worth harvesting before the ZX3 finds its way to the junkyard?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Power steering pumps & AC compressors are expensive - as are steering racks.

A good set of rotors, calipers & brake pads may be nice to have laying around.

Power window parts seem to go bad as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Windows are manual cranks and brake rotors not worth saving. I'll look at how easily the other parts can be extracted.

·
Grey Friar
926 Posts
Catalytic converters have high scrap value... possible to get as much for them as a scrapper would give you for the whole car. Alt, Radio?

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Some few '04 had same engine as '02...............if one had a place to store it could be worth thousands. I'm running a Tempo wiper motor and starter on mine now saved from Tempo car. The Contour got the alternator.

May be able to sell a Focus PCM and ignition lock cylinder together and matched.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best offer I got so far is $200 for the whole car. Financially, it would be best to keep the car and extract parts as needed for the '04 or sell parts individually. But that might cost me a divorce ;-)

The almost new tires and battery I transferred already saved me about $500, since I probably would have had replace them this year on the '04.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Does the 02 ZX3 and the 04 SE have the same engine/trans?

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same engine (although there may have been small changes between the years). ZX3 is manual and SE is automatic.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
If the later car is a duratec the automatic does not fit, the case changed. The manual may do the same. Bellhousing changed bolt pattern. If both are zetec then all is good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both are Zetec. But removing and storing an engine I'll probably never need to replace is more work than I want to deal with.
Looking at the cars side-by-side, I noticed the front end of the ZX3 is in a much better shape than the SE and the color matches. I know it's only cosmetic, but I'm considering swapping the front fenders, wheel well covers and bumper. I looked at some videos to see where the bolts are located and it looks very feasible. But the videos were shot when the cars were newer. Will 18 years of wear make that project impossible?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Im in New England too (MA). You shouldnt have much trouble removing the front bumper cover or fenders. The wheel well liners are held by plastic push pins and you will probably break a few but they are easy to find online.

BTW which control arm rusted off - front or rear? I had a rear one rust in half on my 2002 wagon - but it failed in my driveway! The usual rusted/siezed bolts that had to be cut/drilled out but I was able to replace it.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the rear upper control arm, rusted where the arm attaches to the frame. This caused the wheel to camber in and rub against the shock. I currently have the spare wheel on so it doesn't rub and I can drive slowly, but not safely. Would require welding a new attachment to the frame. With the amount of rust down there, I'm not sure it's a wise investment.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's the rear upper control arm, rusted where the arm attaches to the frame. This caused the wheel to camber in and rub against the shock. I currently have the spare wheel on so it doesn't rub and I can drive slowly, but not safely. Would require welding a new attachment to the frame. With the amount of rust down there, I'm not sure it's a wise investment.
Or a new/used rear crossmember. If the entire vehicle is that rusty probably not worth it. Im in the sameish boat with my 2002 wagon - very rusty (although still driveable). Im in Hudson/Marlborough MA area. Where in New England are you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Storing an engine is impractical unless you have just a ton of indoor shop space. I'd pull the alternator, PS pump, AC compressor and throw those in a box and stick them on a shelf.

Front end swap is feasible. Nothing is that hard, just a lot of screws. Pretty much all the screws go in to those little clips, so if they rust, they'll break off easy and you can get new ones at the Napa/Autozone.

If you can sawzall it off, I recommend cutting the catylitic converters off before scrapping the car. You'll get 50-100 each depending.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick question: will motor mount from '02 ZX3 fit the '04 SE? (Both Zetec) It looks like they're the same part number. SE is loud and I was told it was a motor mount issue.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Quick question: will motor mount from '02 ZX3 fit the '04 SE? (Both Zetec) It looks like they're the same part number. SE is loud and I was told it was a motor mount issue.
If you are talking about the passenger side mount they both use the same pn Ford YS4Z-6038-BA. If you are swapping from one car to the other you dont need to separate the mount from the upper bracket (which doesnt come with the new part). 3 bolts, 2 nuts (studs), floor jack/block of wood - about 1 hour or less. If you need more info let me know.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. YouTube filled me on the procedure. I'll swap the mount and bracket together. Just need 2 jacks since the mount will be off both cars at once. I think it's passenger side since that's where most people have problems, but visually, I don't see anything.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks. YouTube filled me on the procedure. I'll swap the mount and bracket together. Just need 2 jacks since the mount will be off both cars at once. I think it's passenger side since that's where most people have problems, but visually, I don't see anything.
Yes they never really 'look' bad. But they are.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Success! The SE is now much quieter and the ZX3 is much louder. Looking at the mounts side-by-side, I could not tell which one was good and which one was bad.
FYI, although the mounts are the same, the brackets are different enough that I was not able to swap the whole assembly and had to reuse the car-appropriate bracket. Not sure if it's a difference between model years or between the sedan and the hatch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts