Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am a newbie, so if i mess up, SORRY.

Just got myself Year 2000 zetec 1.4 . when driving along, there is what you might describe as a power lag, (or momentary) loss of power.

1. changed plugs. problem persists
2. changed leads. as above
3. changed coil. advised by main dealer. problem persists [?|]

so where do i go from here ????

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Possible bad load of gas, with maybe some water in the gas???

Does it have any aftermarket bits?

·
Registered
384 Posts
If its only for a moment and they its normal again i would be looking at fuel pump and egr systems.

If its a total loss of spark and the car jerks or bucks look at plugs/wires/coil pack.

If it always feels like a loss of power.....Blame the 1.4l :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi viney 266, I thought it may be fuel problem, so ran tank quite low, and went to different fuel supplier. also no after market bits, car is standard.

Hi allanzx3, before I check the fuel pump, would it be easier/cheaper to check the fuel filter ?? more to the point, could it be the fuel filter ?

thanks for replying [confused]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes a fuel filter could cause an issue as well and shoud be replaced as part of regular maintance.

Honestly it sounds more like an egr issue. But im not sure if the 1.4l shares the same dpfe sensor issue as the 2.0l.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, back again, well finally got a diagnostic done on electric system, including all sensors... it is definitely NOT electrical, so ruling out egr issue. so it looks like it is some sort of fuel related problem; water contamination, fuel filter, fuel pump etc.

Gonna try changing the filter first, as I am advised this is the cheapest option.

was also advised to try using some kind of additive which can be added to the fuel tank, with a view to breaking down water contamination ???

can anyone confrm whether or not this works ?
[?|]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"can anyone confrm whether or not this works ?"

Yes, if the amount of water contamination isn't too much, it will remove water from the fuel tank by causing it to mix with the gasoline and be "burned-out" via the engine and exhaust.

Buy a couple of Red bottles of Iso-Heet and add them to the fuel tank when you fill up (the Yellow bottles of Heet are Methanol which doesn't work as well and is also bit nastier to your fuel system, corrosion-wise... the Red stuff is isopropyl alcohol which is much better for water removal).

Of course, if water isn't the problem, this won't help. But it's a good idea to do once a year in any case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. thanks for that penguin, will see if I can get that product over here, or something similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the saga continues, changed fuel filter, yep, you got it, no difference. so next step is the fuel additive for getting rid of water contamination. [:(] am getting [:(!] now. wish me luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, I tried the fuel additive, took the car on a 1000 mile round trip, ( to visit family ) at the start of the journey, the engine fault light came on, yippee, I thought, now I will find out what the problem is.... but, towards the end of the first part of the trip, the light went off. Am I correct in assuming that when you disconnect the battery, and re-connect it later, the fault light re-sets itself by coming on after xx amount of miles, then goes off again ??

Oh, the fuel additive seemed to stop the problem for a short while, ( a couple of days ) but it came back again ![:(]

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not too positive how things work where you are but over here there was a recall on my fuel pump on my 2000 zx3... This sounds like the same problem that I was having. Check to see if this goes for you too. Even if it is not the problem it is a good idea to have it changed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi
tludbluezx3, what were the symptoms of the problem that you were getting with your car ?? thanks for the reply by the way. [:)]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi, it`s me again.

Finally got to the bottom of my really annoying problem. Throttle position switch/sensor was the culprit.

The fault light came on again, and the fault code registered the throttle position switch. It is early days though, but hopefully things should be fine now. Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to reply, it was really appreciated.
[:D] [:D] [:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts