Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the other day , I must say I am an idiot, I left my lights on for 18 hours drained the battery dead . Well I purchased a new battery from the advance auto , cleaned my terminals and hooked everything back up. I got inside my car put the keys in the ignition turned it half way and all my accessories lit up. Went to turn it over and no go. The car will not start. Whats the deal? I had no problems previously and I know the car is receiving power. Is there something I am just overlooking?
I feel like an idiot.
Please help I have to leave soon and I have no way of getting there.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
you're sure you have good good connections??? Might sound stupid but it is the right battery right?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume so. It is different brand but the battery looks exactly the same and all of the requirements look the same.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I did, there is no length in the cables to wire them wrong, probably for just such reason. Plus the accessories work.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how would the alternator go bad though? I wasnt having any previous problems. When I found out the car batt was dead I didnt try to crank it over a bunch. I just cant figure it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you only leave the lights on? Or did you leave the key turned on along with them? For what it looks like, you might have a bad battery cable, or a loose one. Do check the connections to the starter, as well for the cables to the alternator. Make sure nothing is loose that could short out. Also, look again at the battery cables, on some fords there are some fusible link wires that like to go on a snap. Double check on the cables and update.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
you probly drained the alternator. get a new one. or take it to autozone and have em check it. you are getting power because of your new battery and probly needing the alternator cuz battery cant do it by itself...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is it turning over at all? Like does it turn the engine over and just not fire up and run? If it isn't turning the engine over then it is a bad connection. Clean the terminals and make sure they are on the battery tight. Otherwise not sure what could cause it to not fire up but turn over after leaving your lights on. Maybe a fuse but I am not sure.

I also highly doubt the alternator is bad from leaving your lights on. It has to be a bad connection.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not turning over at all it just clicks.
battery connections are good.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
you probly drained the alternator. get a new one. or take it to autozone and have em check it. you are getting power because of your new battery and probly needing the alternator cuz battery cant do it by itself...

Um, ok? [poke]

Make sure the clutch is depressed or the gear shift is fully in park. Sounds more like a Neutral Safety Switch (manual) or Transmission Range Sensor (auto) problem.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
its not turning over at all it just clicks.
battery connections are good.
jump start your car, and drive it around for bout 10 minutes to charge up your battery. while i detailed my chicks car yesterday morning i had the radio on for 2 hours non stop and didnt even think about the battery drainin. we jumped her car drove it around bout 15 minutes to get the battery going again. turned off car and didnt want to start either. just made the clicking noise.
after your battery goes out, the alternator is all you got left giving your car power, and will wear down so quickly cuz it uses power from the battery to help run..
make a trip to autozone and have em check and see if you got a bad alternator.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no I did not have my key in
and all of the connections look goo .

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
im actually just saying what i think is wrong..not an expert just letting you know what i have experienced so far with my chicks car not starting and making the clickin sound when she tries to start it. hope you get it done though

·
Registered
897 Posts
some things to check:
if manual, neutral switch
main power wire going to starter, check that both nuts are holding the clip on
relays and fuses in under hood compartment
engine grounds

If your battery is charged and the connected are good then look at the starter. Jump 12v to the grey wire/clip at the coil pigtail. That should tell you if the starter is good. (Half way point)

·
Registered
140 Posts
some things to check:
if manual, neutral switch
main power wire going to starter, check that both nuts are holding the clip on
relays and fuses in under hood compartment
engine grounds

If your battery is charged and the connected are good then look at the starter. Jump 12v to the grey wire/clip at the coil pigtail. That should tell you if the starter is good. (Half way point)
x2 on the above.

Start ruling things out. At this point don't assume anything is good until it's been tested. Jump start the car. If it starts this way, take the battery back. If the starter still clicks then continue troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting anything takes some time and patience. With the internet and forums like this just makes it easier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your alternator will not prevent your car from starting.

Your charging circuit does not start the car, the battery does. If you can jump the car, and it starts, then you have a problem with your battery... possibly a dead cell in a new battery. It happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts