Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still very un-equated with focus performance but i have noticed some performance No-No's like the msd coil pack because it doesn't add power it makes it worse and k&n air filter because it doesnt filter as well as some other brands

but i also know to use only valvoline or castrol brand oil because penzoil and other related brands use carnuba wax and it will build up everywhere

what other No-No's are there i hope this will help many other newbs to come

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
You know I'm not sure I agree with you. Yeah pretty sure I only agree with a lil' of what you said. Your right about the MSD coil pack will gain you nothing, but wrong in that saying you will loose power. I think your wrong about the K&N, and that it is one of the best filters out there, name the other brands please that are better. And the oil thing, first time I heard that, though I do like Castrol GTX dino oil lol. But really oil is all opinionated.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The MSD coil may not gain power, but if you gap the plugs correctly it improves fuel effciency, which at $3.60+ a gallon is always a concern.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
As Benkap said, yes, it may not improve power, but the MSD can improve spark efficiency, though the stock coil on the focus is very good already. this is generally true of turbo'd or forced induction vehicles, but not so much on the focus.

the info on the k&n filter is wrong. i've talked to a k&n rep at the autoshow. he said for about the first 200 miles, the filter will clean a very small amount less cause it flows so well, then as dirt and grime get into the oil. the dirt and grime ACTUALLY INCREASE EFFICIENCY cause the already captured dirt is now anchored and will help to catch more particulate. so the efficiency curve looks like an upside down parabola in comparison w/ an efficiency vrs. time chart. where a paper filter actually is just a negatively sloped line for efficiency. the filter efficiency varies greatly if you do not know how to properly oil the filter as too much will hurt flow and yes, a stock filter will flow better at that point, or a filter that has 1/20th the oil it needs and will allow a lot of particles to flow through and the filter can't collect and will continue to have high flow, but will not be efficient.

as for the wax, i cannot find a SHRED of evidence that ANY auto oil uses Carnauba wax, not to mention, i've NEVER heard of anything like this. Carnauba wax is from trees. there are certain parafin waxes that will be in engine oil due to the refining process, but not carnauba. so i'm not sure where your getting your info from. if you find this info. Please post it up in the thread and i will retract this statement, but i have NEVER seen it, nor in my research could i find it. I'm not going to get into an oil debate, but the brand isn't so much what matters, alot of the non synthetics are very close, alot of the fully synthetics are very close and the mineral oils are also very very close. some might have slight differences, but not by much. until you get up into the AMSoil or Royal Purple.

But please post up your informantion sources

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The K&N filter is fine for street use. If you live in a really dusty area then you may want to clean the filter more often. I would say however that any “high” flow filter obtains a higher flow by allowing smaller particles to possibly pass through. I have used a iTG foam filter, and a K&N. I personally will be going with a AmsOil Filter. They have a Dry filter which filters down to very small particles. A K&N filter for my off road Jeep is not a good idea… but for a street car, I feel fine with it installed.
I am fairly sure that Carnauba wax (which is used mostly in car waxes for polish, also used in surfboard wax, shoe polish, floor and furniture wax) is a solid at room temperature so unless your heating up the oil your putting in your engine you will notice any going in your engine.
As with any performance I believe you need to have a 10-15HP increase to actually tell any difference in performance so if the MSD coil adds 2-3 HP your not going to tell. That goes with any mod.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry let me correct my previous statement on the oil i meant to say paraffin i typed carnuba

as for the k&n filters ive talked to mechanics and they all said that k&n let in fine particulate that after time will lower your engines life

once again sorry for the inconvenience

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Parafin wax, is in all auto oils. but its miniscuel amounts. as for the k&n, yes, it lets particulates through for about a tank. thats about it. then it filters just as good as a paper filter.

myself and my rents all use k&n, i've had a car at 202k w/ no problems and ran a k&n since 15k and my dad has 2 vehicles that are bordering 200k miles and are perfect. compression is great.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The biggest problems that come from K&N filters are not the fault of the filters themselves. Most people over oil them when they are cleaning and reinstalling them. The excess gets sucked into the intake and dirties up the MAF.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive had to replace an engine due to the build up of this wax from the use of pennzoil at the jeep dealership when they took the valve cover off it looked like some one had melted a candle over the rockers

its funny that oil changes where under warranty but bearing failure do to wax building up and pluging passages was not

we had an engine installed used only valvoline and had 493,000 miles on her when we sold it and it ran like new

But what else are performance or maintenance no no's

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Tom, Porting the tb might seem like a waste of time to you, but I wouldn't call it a performance "no no." I did mine and I feel its a good compromise between the 65mm with horrible drivability, and stock with horrible response.

Agree with everything else. I think if you maintain a K&N properly it cleans and flows better than oe.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
520 Posts
K&N you can get a prefilter if needed for off road use. Also NEVER blow them out with air because if you do you just ruined it. always wash gently with water and dry then oil and dry.

Ported TB I guess increased air flow is bad. don't bother porting the intake or head either I guess. mabey we should use a 30mm instead of 65 mm

MSD = same power as stock coil. Stock coil has better reliability.

UDP No No then I guess a fidenza flywheel is just a gimic. Don't bother shaving like 10lbs of the crank spinning mass

Wax build up on rockers in a jeep never heard of it probally blow by they all get it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have run a K&N filter on my F150 for 180,000 miles. It's a 2 wheel drive, so just a few unpaved roads, no serious dust slinging. If the K&N filter is wearing out my engine I haven't noticed it. Haven't run a compression check lately, but it still has lots of power and gets the same mpg it did when new. I use the K&N kit and am careful to oil lightly, let it set and then go over any light areas per the instructions. Have one in the Focus too, but only put 20,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The whole oil thing is scaring me because I cant afford castrol or penz so I run quaker state full synthetic ehich is the cheapest full syn. Although I have never heard of the wax thing

·
Registered
520 Posts
I rebuild motors for a living and have never seen/heard of this. Don't be afraid.
Notice the person posting this has like a 30 post count. Sounds like an valvoline or castrol brand oil sales man. And he'll sell you a paper filter while he's at it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
that's fine but I don't buy wax build up

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
All oils have to meet standards for the API. For regular driving, standard motorcraft oil is perfectly fine. If you can't affford it, wait a week to buy the oil. If you drive more than 10 miles a day at full operating temperature, you can go 6,000-8,000 miles with no problem, with a high quality oil and aftermarket air filter, and an engine in tip top shape. For example, the oil change interval for new chrysler vehicles is 8,000 miles. That's with a standard oil and filter too.

And about the Jeep with the wax problem: that's because its a chrysler. Why did you have the valvecover off, was it the 4.0 Inline 6? Maybe with a blown head gasket? Chrysler vehicles are notorious for engine sludge. That's just a poorly designed engine that captures contaminated oil at certain parts of the engine, due to poor oil flow. I took my valve cover off at 177k miles for the first time, you know how much sludge I encountered? Zero. Cause its a well designed engine.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
520 Posts
The chrystler sludge is actually blowby from compression leaking past the piston rings.
The oil change interval is listed so high so when calculating the cost of ownership it lowers it because they are counting it as 1 oil change not 3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts