Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as that bountiful tax return comes in, F2 header, Trubendz 2.5" HFC exhaust, and Xcal 3 tune (once 09 tunes come out.)

So what would one recommend for a next uppy? I was thinking a throttle body spacer later on, nothing major though. I've read the stickies and see a mass amount of possibilities, but I really don't know what I should go for. I also have an ATX tranny, something to keep in mind.

I hear people talk about a lot of various parts, but what would be good for me to go next? As long as it's not Turbo, I don't think I'll get that in the near future anyways.

Much appreciated! [cheers]

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
Depending on what you got now, I would say suspension. It sounds like you have most of your engine as NA as it gets so why not use that and get even more driveability out of it with a bit more suspension.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a pretty decent suspension package because of the SES model. I've got some sway bars already.
It's definitely something I will look into though.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Throttle body spacer doesn't do jack squat! I would go with suspension. You may think yours is good but it is no where close. But please don't do the TB spacer.

·
FF God of South FL
2,417 Posts
TB spacer doesnt do anything just buy the larger TB from CFM not sure if they fit ur 09 tho

Other options for u to think about u might have some already
Intake
Drop
Sway Bars(if available)
POlyurathane Motor mounts
Sloted Rotors from F2

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
he doesn't have a 2.3L so he doesn't have a BS to delete

dogbone
big front sway bar (require a little modification on the 08+)
svt rear disc brakes

i will agree with you the 09 suspension feels excellent but i've only driven the coupe. On curvy roads i couldn't get it to understeer at all, however if you were autocrossing i bet it would turn the tires to butter. Getting the larger front sway will keep those things glued to the pavement and if you did decided to autoX, larger front sway and the lack of lowered springs would keep you in stock class [thumb]

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
although you may like the stock suspension there are a few aftermarket options that are a big improvement over stock for performance and looks. i put the H&R springs on my 09 and it's a night and day difference. looks sexy and handles so much better. I might also recomend doin a brake upgrade. Ford Racing sells an SVT brake setup for front and rear that will dramatically improve you'r braking and the full set (front and rear sold seperate now) can be had for around $900.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I told you....you asked what next, I and the rest of the crew say suspension, now you just need to do it.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help guys, I guess suspension seems like the route to go!
So for more power, I guess it seems like Turbo is the only viable step?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well a turbo would negate your header and intake and tune. (turbo needs a different, more agressive tune). As far as big power then yes you won't attain that without a turbo or a seriously built motor. Even with a built NA motor though you won't see the power a turboed motor would.

And I wouldn't recommend doing swaybars before a bit stiffer springs and dampers.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea throw in the header and exhaust for now, and suspension. And later down the road when a tune does come out and you still want more power then turbo it up.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I vote suspension or brakes too, you really get the most bang for the buck since an improved suspension and brake system makes the car more fun to drive, and can give you some stability and safety in an emergency situation.

If you are cruising down the road and another driver does someting stupid or a monster moose steps into the roadway, what would you rather have 15 more HP, or better brakes and handling?

I had lots of fun autocrossing my car for a full year with completely stock driveline (except catback exh and cold air intake, with a Koni sport kit (yellow shocks / blue springs), Front and rear stress bars, Stainless Steel brakelines, Hawk brake pads, and a rear swaybar (ran FSP).

I also used Kumho V710's for the autoX, but you could run cheaper tires in STS or stock classes.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Well a turbo would negate your header and intake and tune. (turbo needs a different, more agressive tune). As far as big power then yes you won't attain that without a turbo or a seriously built motor. Even with a built NA motor though you won't see the power a turboed motor would.

And I wouldn't recommend doing swaybars before a bit stiffer springs and dampers.
haven't seen you on here in a while...missed your input.

although i hate to correct you...you will see great benefits of upgrading bars without doing stiffer springs, just can't go MUCH bigger or your car won't like it. A lot of times you can totally clean up a car's handling just through bars because lowering a lot of times screws up a car's suspension geometry.

here's a quote from WeeAsp, someone i respect utterly because he knows so much from experience:
No such thing as "the best one" in terms of brand.

You need to find a bar (actually bars) that suit your needs. Are you competing the car in AX or track events or do you want a little more confidence for those occasions of "spirited driving"? They are very different requirements. If you are looking to campaign the car in a racing environment, then go full bore. If you are looking for a a little more fun factor, then don't go as large.

To earlier points made by B16 and Geezer.

If you don't change out the front bar, then leave the rear alone.

You may THINK that the car handles better through the corners, and it does, but the car isn't necessarily quicker through the corner.

*DISCLAIMER* Any and all faster corner speeds are condoned only on a sanctioned road course, AX, drag strip, personal go-kart track, etc.... Taxes, licenses, fees, surcharges may apply and contest participants are subject to oversight from Martian landing vehicles or random homeless cuttlefish. Annual APR not fixed and subject to change without notice.

As you corner, the body flexes and the rear bar pushes the rear suspension down. Because of weight transfer, you are actually lifting a drive wheel off the pavement slightly. This means (unless you are running an LSD) that you are losing some power transfer to the ground up front.

The fastest set up is a large front bar and a mild rear. This will allow for the rotation you want, but provide more positive pressure on the drive wheels that allows you to put more power to pavement.

That said, a word of caution. Large rear sway bar and stock front bar (especially in non-SVT foci) will produce some pretty radical oversteer conditions.

I believe the term is "lift induced snap oversteer". Namely lift out of the gas in the middle of a corner (this is a no, no anyway [nono] ) and the car will try to swap ends.
i am amazed at how much better my SVT handles then my ZX3 and the SVT is stock on 17's and the ZX3 has FRPP suspension, 18's (less sidewall), and SVT rear bar with poly bushings. Even though my ZX3 has better components in 2 of the 3 places i listed it is lacking the SVT's larger front bar which makes that car SCREAM around corners...

i didn't believe it myself until i bought that car last week...

sorry to turn this into a suspension thread, if you want some good input for that you should check out the tires, brakes, and suspension forum where they have a TON of stickies just like we do for HP here [thumb]

1 - 20 of 70 Posts