Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Black Automatic Focus SES.

Well I've done all the simple things to my car. Now, I'm unsure of what should be my next project for it. Here is a list of my current mods:

2.5" full Borla exhaust
Steed SRI intake
17" Ford Racing Dark Grey Euro Wheels
Upper, lower & rear stress bars

I'd like to stay away from anything suspension related. I'm looking for more power. All suggestions are welcome.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Go with the FS turbo

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah...what he said. there really isnt any other option for going F/I. so u dont bother with the header, and you just buy the kit. stock head is fine for the turbo, as is the block. unless you are running crazy boost. in which case you would want to do some internals, like forged pistons, not sure about the crank on this car tho...

so basically, ur at a standstill til u buy the kit....then u get the intercooler, kit, and tune all at once.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if your leaning towards FI now, you wasted your money and time on the steeda intake.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
for the rough estimate of 4 grand for labor/tune/fs kit, look at everything you can buy without f/i (the top two are highly recommended if you go turbo anyway)

CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL
QUAIFE LSD
PORT/POLISHED HEAD
COSWORTH IM
PORTED THROTTLE BODY
STG. 2 CAMS
and a shit load of fun gauges for the interior, or take off the cams and add n2o

you wont beat a turbo, but you won't have any real fun with a turbo without putting in forged internals (who wants to spend that money to run 5 psi???). If it comes down to wanting the fastest car, well then lets just get out the ruler and drop our pants.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
IMO you should stay NA for a few years your already on the road to the NA world of sweetness...and what honhon said too, it seems you've gotten the stuff for NA already, stay w/ the dark side...the force is strong w/ you my young panty-liner....lol j/k

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
if u go f/i, make the choice now. the money you spend to get to even 200whp will cost you a mint, with a header, p/p head, new IM (thats over 700 by itself), header, cams, etc. then, if u decide to actually do the turbo, you need to take it all out again. so, it depends on if you can:
a. afford a turbo kit
b. if not, can handle not modding your car until you CAN afford it (other than brakes, suspension, etc)
c. if not, decide if you are gonna stay n/a or not. and commit. cuz like i said, ull be spending a lot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Focus Sport's FS090 should work.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i think the issue is, though, that noone has a tune for the 08s yet.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
ya, that is one of the reasons I say stay NA for a few years let the aftermarket catch up w/ the car...it takes a while for stuff to come out. I think the FS turbo should work it's for the most part the same engine just some stuff is moved around so you mite have a fitment issue w/ it. The other issue would be as our man NEM said the even w/ a turbo kit.. you still need the tune, although I guess you could get it dyno tuned but for 14o buck an hour you'll be better off w/ a dataloger. Xcal3 IMO.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
obviously FS has the ability to tune 08s...they've been doing it for a while.

the question is...how much are you willing to spend? once you turbo a car it becomes a slippery slope. you start with 9psi, then 11psi, then 15psi, then you blow the motor. so forged motor and 18psi. then 21psi and then youre shooting for 300whp on pump gas....

its all in how much you wanna spend.

·
Registered
537 Posts
before you start leaning towards f/i or n/a, you need to ask your self one question: how much power do want/need to make to make yourself happy? because when it's all said and done you will ultimately be spending $$$$ on either one. if you just want 50-60 more ponies stay n/a. if you want 100+ go turbo and get ready for a spending spree. i wish i had like 5k to throw at my car all at once...

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
right, so there ya go. u have to decide now which way....and if u cant hold off on mods til u can afford it, ur stayin n/a lol.

and i know bradwhite has the xcal, but he cannot get his tune done b/c they havent come out with one yet. datalogging is a good thing tho, and dyno tuning is the best way, especially when you do a turbo. dont wanna run lean with a turbo (or in general).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the great opinions guys. Before I had my new focus, I had a '94 awd turbo talon. I really do miss the fun with the turbo. I think I'll hold off for a little while & bite my fingernails while i wait for the turbo kits to be finalized for production. I'm actually looking to get a hatchback focus for pretty cheap just so I can work on it in the meantime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts