Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so this is currently what i have under the hood.

4-1 Longtube header
Cat deleted
EGR deleted
2.5 Flex
2.5 MBRP exhaust
Spyder CAI
Focus Central Throttle body
(eventually a 2k intake mani)

So now where do go from here?
Has anyone done cams? Can they tell me if its worth it or not?
Ive heard pulleys for 2-3hp aren't worth the amount you spend on them.
i have 101k on my car, so its not worth a turbo build or supercharger.....

where do i go from here?????

if any of my previous statements are wrong, then please, correct me and give me some examples. :eek:) Thanks guys all your suggestions will be taken into account.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, cams are worth it if you are gonna stay NA, which you are. if you get a super aggressive set, you will need a new set of valvesprings/retainers. pretty much the only cams that do that are crower II's and Crane III's and any above staged cams. you will see 150+ whp w/ a proper flowing head like a custom ported one or the FR head. basically all u can do now is head work. o, and stay away from pulleys, all they will give you is throttle response. there is nothing wwrong w/ putting boost out of ur car though, it just depends on what condition its in.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
head? you mean the head of the cylinder right?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yup, its the most restricting part.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i know this isnt exaclty under the hood but have you done any suspension work?

if not, i highly recomend doing so. i have the prokit spring and getting the svt dampers. i wish that i had ordered the svt springs tho b/c they are stiffer and you can fit a 17 MUCH better with those. i have to roll with 205/40's for my 17's nothing bigger or it would rub. and thats after i rolled the fenders

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
DO you have a tune?

You could do a turbo build I know a guy that did one with a 150k on his car. He putdown 240whp/wtq

So you could get a turbo and run anywhere from 8-12 psi with a good tune

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
New wires (FRPP or Taylor)
AZFS22C F4 plugs gapped at .060
Fidanza flywheel
All 3 VF mounts
Tune
Short throw shifter
FRPP head

^^^Just for starters.. and it will make the car fell better overall.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So what is your goal?

Pretty hard to recommend how to spend your money for you if we have no idea what your intentions are for the car.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well its a daily driver but i love to show off.
My goal is to have a decently fast focus, and have it stand out from a line of cars so people go thats a nice car, but try to stay away from ricerish. no big wings and the reason for my bodykit is my stock end was smashed, and this one was only 30$ lol.
Short throw is out of the wuestion caus eits an Auto, and yes i already have a TUNE i forogt to mention that.

whats the point of wires and coil and plugs if im not going FI? i thought i only needed more spark when i was pushing more air and feul...n what not.
FRPP head, thats what MLBbaseball was tlaking aobut right? maybe ill look into that.
then also, what will a flywheel do for me?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
a lightweight flywheel gives you less rotating mass and more torque to the ground. no hp, but also you get a nice quick revving engine. and yes, thats what i was talking about, the FRPP head.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
better spark = less resistance = less demand on the alternator = less drag (parasitic loss) from the alternator.

Any time you are able to relieve an electrical load from the system, the system as a whole generally improves. things like improving the grounds can be included in this, search "the big 3".

A flywheel will do nothing for you, it won't even fit. Automatics use what is called a flexplate. It's basically a giant gear that the starter uses to start the car, and looking for a lightweight or thinking of lightening it may not be the best idea, it does help balance the engine and the torque converter.

Now that we know you have an automatic, maybe you want to look into a performance valvebody from Lentec. I don't know much about them specifically but I'm sure someone else will.

But the way it seems your more the visual right now so as far as the visual go fast there isn't much more. Pop the hood and no one is going to be able to tell you have a Ford Racing head, cams or if it's fully built.
You may enjoy looking over the past Ride Of The Month cars as well --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22039

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
With that many miles on your car, and it being an auto your options are limited. First of the autotranny sucks up alot of potential and increases your mods give you. Doing all the bolt ons and a tune gives you very little power increase for the money. Not to mention the autotrans can only take so much tq. So if you plan on doing anything more then bolt ons look into beefing up the trans, which will cost a decent penny. Also, doing a Ford racing head is not cheap and if your engine is that old and you were honeslty going to get a new head you might as well go and get all new internals and basically rebuild the whole engine.

Idk how much money you want to spend, or whats logical, considering your focus is old and has a decent amount of miles. I say stick with what you have, you have a decent amount of go fast parts for an automatic focus, you really wont be able to do much more without forking over a ton of money. Think about what the focus does best, put your money towards wheels and tires, and suspension. The focus is not a straight line car, put some money into the handling parts and you'll have more fun with it.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
truwe that i took some nice wide turns the other day at 90 and i was scared my car was gonna roll lol.
after i was done with my engine i was looking at KYB agx suspension with some kinds psring to drop me close to 2 inches.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
well i also have an auto and i have heard from many including mr baseball dont get cams on an auto because we loose tq. cam gears however can be adjusted to release as much hp as possible due to the incosistant timing from the factory.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i also have an auto and i have heard from many including mr baseball dont get cams on an auto because we loose tq. cam gears however can be adjusted to release as much hp as possible due to the incosistant timing from the factory.

who knows how to adjust cam gears the right way so i wont blow something up?
if therers an easy how to then please direct me to it or if someone can write one up thatd be great and ill send some rep your way[cheers]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Normally, I would say spray it and get a JRSC, but that's pretty pricey and not nessessarly the most reliable thing to do.... But I agree with about everyone else: Upgrade tranny, suspension, and get some VF's... i think yhat should be #1 on the list, seeing as once you put them on you'll be able to FEEL all that stuff you've already done.

But whatever, any way you decide to go, Happy tuning!
Daniel

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you need to dyno tune ur cam gears, but if you accidentally install them wrong, then you will not blow anything up, just loose a crap load of power!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts