Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i start I have a 1994 bmw 325is auto, no mods.. just the heavy ass 5th rim/tire spare removal and a k&n filter. Ok, so I hit the coffee shop for a drink, and parked next to what appeared to be a grey zx3 with a "focus performance" window sticker, i dont know if it was svt, i doubt it? anyways..

when i left the modded zx3 left, and he tried to race me at first, i was unaware. So the second light.. we both roll slowly to 15mph and then gun it.

His car was lowered, had at least an exhaust i could see/hear, and sounded like an intake, it was a manual.

we're side by side, after his first shift i was ahead by 1/4 of a car, maybe at the best point i was half a car length ahead. it stayed that way until 75-80mph or so, when he actually pulled on me a little! This is always when i pull away from someone beside me if its that close, we evened up by 100mph but by 110mph he fell half a car length back behind because i (finally) started to pull away. If SVT's are limited at 100mph electronicly, then this zx3 must've had a chip or computer, or however you guys remove the limiter(thats what we do). So then we stopped, since i have an auto the roll-on and downshifting at the right time saved my butt, i think i wouldve lost a drag race to him (no launch).

and i had a passenger, and im stock, and i have an automatic! [:p] but im not poking fun, my car has about 190hp and weighs 3100lbs, clearly not the fastest thing around.

I know, its nothing to brag about, but ive raced cars that were supposed to have way more horsepower than a modded zx3 and beat them from a roll, with the race being as close as this one(such as a modded civic SI, and a stock integra GS-R at high speeds) I wonder what he had done to his car .. hmm..

any zx3 guys know of n/a mods that would give it that much punch? my car is probably as fast as a stock sportshift honda prelude who knows what hes doing.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
A modded ZX3 will do fairly well against most cars. If you have an automatic your car will probably do 0-60 in over 8 seconds. With basic bolton mods, a ZX3 shouldnt have any problem achieving the same results. He probably hit his limiter which is around 108 when you pulled on him. Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So you wonder why you won against a ZX3 with a 325 @ 190 hp? [confused] [hihi]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no .. my 4th gear shift is somewhere inbetween 110-115mph, and we raced for a good few seconds after i had shifted into 4th, so it was probably more like 120mph or so. This guy clearly didnt hit his limiter, we all know what that looks/sounds like .. and he was right there the whole time.

Yeah I know automatics suck, i happen to think drag racing sucks also .. if i enjoyed drag racing i wouldnt drive a bimmer, or an automatic. I like corners and high speeds, so of course i know my 0-60 sucks, this wasnt a 0-60 race, neither of us launched, like i said it was from a roll. Despite having an auto my car is pretty quick from a roll, 3rd gear keeps going forever giving me a nice 70+mph pull that has suprised a few ppl and myself. Anyways.. allow me to state officially for you guys that Yes, even a stock zx3 would probably take me off the line.

Banq, im not wondering why I won, it was damn close, and like i said i've taken cars that are lighter AND have 30 more horsepower stock than a zx3 at those speeds. Which is why I came here because it suprised the hell out of me when he made even with me for a few seconds at those speeds/rpms/etc. It was .. "unusual" .. not that a zx3 is slow but im just being honest based on past experiences. So i came here to see if maybe theres a camshaft kit for the zx3 motor, I know he didn't have f/a because he would've been faster, and I seriously doubt he was spraying unless it was a very weak shot .. it just seemed like he had some n/a work and i was curious whats out there for the zx3 motor, and what kind of performance it gives.

btw I don't hate on any kind of car :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
plenty of stuff can be done to the zetec. Exhaust, cam gears, cam grind, CAI, Headers. chip....etc. There are literally tons of stuff you can do. Fastest mod though is decals which add a whopping 100 hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nevermind, he lives down the street from a friend of mine, got into an accident a while back and got a bunch of cash from it and put a JRSC in. Makes more sense :p

·
Registered
845 Posts
about 135fwhp (give or take a few depending on the car...they're all different). With camshaft and gears properly tuned...about 150fwhp (again, give or take...depending on how emissions friendly you make it)
If the exhaust valves close just a hair after the intakes open, it draws in more fuel, but some also escapes out the exhaust unburned which is uuuhhhh... non-friendly to the environment, but yields a few more ponies.

have to add::: "I think" to this...there are so many different variations of parts to choose from, it's hard to pick a single number for all the Focii...could get more with less simple bolt ons as intake exhaust etc. such as, pistons, head, valves & springs, rods, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it makes sense now because the dyno plot for the blown jackson racing focus is 150whp, i have about 165rwhp, plus the flat torque curve that stays right there with the horsepower figures the whole way. Guess that made up for the extra 300lbs im toting around ..

The race went exactly like me and my friend who knows the guy would, he had a 99 civic SI with every bolt-on known to man including one of those spiffy 4-to-1 $1,000 toda headers and no catalytic converter .. he was putting down closer to 160whp but his motor was so peaky it lacked alot of mid-range, which is why we'd pace each other on the highway, he'd dog me from a stoplight.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
SVT isn't limited until about 130mph man.

Also, I know from experience my ZX3 hits 115mph before it starts to get cut off. I think it depends on the individual car.

·
Registered
705 Posts
135 to 145 limited by power, not by anything else you power up an SVT you get more top speed. According to some of the Guru's on here with svt's of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.