Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, this is a great forum, I have been able to get a lot of answers on my questions.

I have a 01 ZX3 Zetec automatic that I am using for my daily driver. It has 135k miles, pretty much stock except for a K and N Filter. I do about 90 percent highway driving.

I get about 26 miles with AC on. I know that the auto has 4 gears so its not going to get worse mileage driving highway at 70 miles in hour. I was wondering what other people are getting on an automatic Zetec.

I was also thinking of replacing or deleting the EGR system, since my EGR is the original system. There doesn't seem to be definitive data on whether an EGR deletes helps mileage.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I get around 25 average if I'm lucky. So that's pretty good. EGR delete will probably give you less MPG seeing as it reuses exhaust gases to run the engine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I average about 24-25 mpg with I'd say about 70% highway and 30% stop and go, A/C is on about 50% of the time. I deleted EGR due to using SVT header and really didnt notice much of a loss in miliage at all. Honestly, I dont think its much of a difference to worry about deleting it unless you have to for a header.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I only get about 20... Any suggestions how to improve? Mine is a 00 zx3 and it only has 70k miles... I've had people suggest swapping put my plugs and wires as a starter... Help would be great!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
in Cali, it will be illegal to remove the egr. so you'd have to swap it back when you have to check emissions.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I had an automatic focus sedan, and my only mod was an ebay cold air intake. My best mileage was 31.25 mpg highway. I'd get one of those, it makes the engine breathe better.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I averaged 33.5 back & forth to FocusFest.

I'm seeing about 30 daily driving with just bolt ons. A tune is probably the best bang for the buck, even on a stock car. The best bet for keeping up the mileage is keeping up on maintenance.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a K and N filter, which I know is not the same as a CAI. I'll probably look at getting a used one here on the forums.

I do maintenance pretty regularly, and I use Amsoil XL oil. I just replaced my suspension, and removed the resonator box from the airbox.

I'll look at lightly modded my car, but its my daily, and I want to take my car to 180+ before I get a new daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I averaged 33.5 back & forth to FocusFest.

I'm seeing about 30 daily driving with just bolt ons. A tune is probably the best bang for the buck, even on a stock car. The best bet for keeping up the mileage is keeping up on maintenance.

Posted via FF Mobile
I do agree on getting a tune. I have a turbo charged car and the tune made a huge difference on mileage.

I have talked to a couple of Focus tuners and the funny thing is they dissuaded me from getting a tune because they thought I wouldn't see much of an improvement in mileage. I drive mainly highway miles, 70 mph, so maybe because of that I wouldn't see much of a difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
where did u guy get ur tunes do u always tune for 91/93 ?? or would a better tune for 87 be ok .. im talking about and a all stock wagon here tho i just got it and its all stock i wanna do the true flow intake with the ice man bax setup ... custom probably and maybe a different muffler but keep the lunch box so its deeper but still quite .. maybe msd coil and wires too ? idk what plugs to run but i want a good looking wagon with good gas mileage :)

not planing a racing a focus or racing at all i just sold my 13 second mr2 for this wagon im never gonna be happy with a FF for a race care im a mid engine guy for those

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably around 400, but after doing some calculation it may not be worth it. Assuming gas is 4 bucks a gallon, it would take 40k plus miles to break even if you get a 2mpg improvement. It's so hard to predict tunes, and it's not like we are running pig rich.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So many factors to take into consideration. A good intake and flex back exhaust system is a great place to start for mpg mods, but make sure all the rest is good to go first.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i wish lol but that would be alot of work and money that i can just use on gas lol maybe if the tranny is crapping out soon ? i wouldnt mind
if you just doing it for a 5 speed it will cost you probably 600-700ish (plus a tune to get rid of CEL's and get it running nice) with new flywheel/clutch and a weekend if your mechanically inclined. (this would be the cost about the same as intake and exhaust)

i did my swap with a Spec stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, CFM short throw shifter, Sparco Grip pedals, new clutch line, new seals, new shift cables and it cost me about 1200ish.

just from the mpg increase it should pay for itself in about 2-3 years (gas here is around $5.50/gal and i used to spend $30-40 a week now im down to 20-25ish). but i did the swap more of HP/TQ gains and i plan on going turbo soon and a build ATX would run me 2-3 grand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you just doing it for a 5 speed it will cost you probably 600-700ish (plus a tune to get rid of CEL's and get it running nice) with new flywheel/clutch and a weekend if your mechanically inclined. (this would be the cost about the same as intake and exhaust)

i did my swap with a Spec stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, CFM short throw shifter, Sparco Grip pedals, new clutch line, new seals, new shift cables and it cost me about 1200ish.

just from the mpg increase it should pay for itself in about 2-3 years (gas here is around $5.50/gal and i used to spend $30-40 a week now im down to 20-25ish). but i did the swap more of HP/TQ gains and i plan on going turbo soon and a build ATX would run me 2-3 grand.
yeah thats a NO WAY lol im only buying this focus to save money lol im only paying 300 bucks out of poket for it and its only got 88k lol it got abandon at my shop cus the lil old lady doesn't want to pay for the repairs ... i dont really want any more power or anything just i guess want it to get the 30 ish mpg its suppose to get u know ?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
focus auto 22mpg city 28mpg highway 25mpg combined
foucs 5 speed 24mpg city 32mpg highway 27 mpg combined

i don't think i have ever seen an auto get 28mpg but you will see 5 speeds get 32-34 mpg

im just saying at the cost of a new intake/exhaust you could swap it and get way better mileage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
focus auto 22mpg city 28mpg highway 25mpg combined
foucs 5 speed 24mpg city 32mpg highway 27 mpg combined

i don't think i have ever seen an auto get 28mpg but you will see 5 speeds get 32-34 mpg

im just saying at the cost of a new intake/exhaust you could swap it and get way better mileage.
ok idk if u know but i work at a shop and i can build and weld .. so ur telling me its would be cheaper for me to find a used tranny linkage and re flash my ecu then for me to build and intake and exhaust ... i can built and intake and exhaust for 200 bucks tops and is the autos MPG that bad not even 28 when i looked it up it said 29 mpg but id be happy with 27 or soo ? with the intake and exhaust and copper wires and msd coil ?? maybe 29 ?? as long at city is over 20 mpg right ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts