Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my issue:

I have owned 2 2008 Foci, one non-PZEV (Standard 15" rims), one PZEV (SES 16" rims).

In my first focus, the non-PZEV, on one occasion I was able to destroy my friend in a rolling start race with 3 other people in my car. The non-PZEv was unmodified.

I now own a PZEV SES. I understand the larger diameter of the wheels saps some of my power, but even after I removed the restrictive PZEV charcoal lifetime air filter assembly and installed a CAI and Trubendz exhaust, I still only feel just about as powerful as the old non-PZEV, if nto just a little bit slower.

So what makes a PZEV a PZEV? I know the air intake/filter is a part, but is the engine simply running a different code for timing and etc? Or is it different parts used in the engine itself?

If I go ahead and buy a Flashtuner, will that solve my lack of power here by capitalizing on the intake/exhaust?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not entirely sure, but this might help...

http://duratec.wikispaces.com/home

As far as power goes, one mod that will help a lot is a header. The PZEV has a cat crammed right up against the manifold that makes exhaust flow terrible. If you add a header it should really free up some power, especially since you already have the trubendz.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Well they all have that cat right there but yeah, a header is the best bang for your buck.

In addition to a slightly modified computer tune, the PZEV has an air injection system, a metal gas tank instead of plastic, that air filter you mentioned, and depending on the year a slightly revised exhaust manifold sometimes containing an extra O2 sensor.

Its down like 2hp compared to the non-PZEV edition, again depending on year and motor size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well they all have that cat right there but yeah, a header is the best bang for your buck.

In addition to a slightly modified computer tune, the PZEV has an air injection system, a metal gas tank instead of plastic, that air filter you mentioned, and depending on the year a slightly revised exhaust manifold sometimes containing an extra O2 sensor.

Its down like 2hp compared to the non-PZEV edition, again depending on year and motor size.
I have a question that will benefit both TopGearTerror and I, when you install a header on a PZEV (mine is a D23 from 04), what do you use to plug the holes left from the air intake assembly?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I put a header on my 08 that has a PZEV and I can definitely tell there's a difference. It opens it up so much more.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The non pzevs header is better flowing than the other. mine was crazy the piping went into the large cat, but curved first rather then shooting straight there in a tight little mess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The non pzevs header is better flowing than the other. mine was crazy the piping went into the large cat, but curved first rather then shooting straight there in a tight little mess.
have you tried to smog a pzev with the non pzev exhaust manifold?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I have a question that will benefit both TopGearTerror and I, when you install a header on a PZEV (mine is a D23 from 04), what do you use to plug the holes left from the air intake assembly?
I'm assuming you're talking about the air injection that originally runs to the header? Nothing, you can leave it disconnected. It blows air into the exhaust when functioning so just leaving the hose disconnected means its just blowing air at nothing. No big deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts