Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm painted my stock rims this weekend, and I wanted a little 'HOW TO' as to how I go about doing it and such

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
List of materials.
1 package of sand paper (various grits)
1 roll of shop towels.
4 Cans of Duplicolor paint (or paint of your choice, but I recommend duplicolor)
1 Can of etching primer.
large piece of cardboard to lay your wheel on for painting.
Laquer/paint thinner (if polished/aluminum lip is desired)

sand/wetsand (600/800 grit) to remove stock finish. (no need to remove all the stock powdercoat, only scuff it up)

rinse, and clean your wheel. Remove all dirt, foriegn particles (prep work is most important)

Dry off your wheel, and lay down ton's of shop towels between the tire and the bead of the wheel. (this is my substitute for masking tape and newspapers)

After that's done, I shot 2 thin coats of etching primer (bonds to metal surfaces very well).

Let dry for a few minutes, then shoot your paint.

If you desire the polished lip around the wheel, Use a dab of paint thinner/laquer thinner on a towel (lint free) and wipe excess paint.

end result:

If you don't want to use paint/laquer thinner, you can use masking tape, but that takes like twice as long....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanna go black with a thin chrome lip on the outta edge

·
Registered
705 Posts
nice quick writeup. Also I'm not sure if it is Duplicolor or not, but there is a specific wheel paint that is made. Avalilable at many stores like Wal Mart, Autozone, and Pep Boys. Its like 5-7 bucks a can, but it's lasted a few months on mine so far. Also I used a clear coat on mine. Mikes it shinier (so they say) and much more durable. Just make sure everything is dry, especially if you use tape to tape off a lip, before untaping or undoing anything. By the way, the clear is the same manufactuer and product as the color, just a clear and its the best clear coat that I've used for anything.

·
Registered
789 Posts
jeeptofocus said:
Also I used a clear coat on mine. Mikes it shinier (so they say) and much more durable.

i was going to say something about this. i would do the paint and then clear coat like this guy^. i would say two to three coats about thirty min apart for the spray times. this way road debris and rocks won't start chipping away at the paint the first time you take it out for a spin. i'm thinking about doing my stockers in a gunmetal shade before the winter comes around and i have to put them back on.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I say none, keep it clear and stock.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
i just got some stockers in and going to paint them flat black for next years autoXing..DOT slicks.. woot !![:D]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you shoot the paint right out of the can or do you need an airgun or anything???

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Tbone said:
Can you shoot the paint right out of the can or do you need an airgun or anything???
rattle can is the easiest, cheapest, and prolly the best for the average focus owner....

HVLP spray guns are a pain, at least in my experience... (i need more practice)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I've got some contour wheels that I might paint before i get some tires mounted on them. They have plastic center caps...do i paint them the same way as the wheels?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
if you go black with a thin lip they will look great! look at the pick under my name. those are mine and i get complimented all the time. just take your time and they will come out great!!

<<<<<

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I want mine black with a BUNCH of clearcoat. I think they'll look sweet with my CD silver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts