Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, so its time to change oil myself, when i bought the car i got like 4 free oil changes so i used them all, so now..id like to go with a synthetic oil. but ive head that its not good, since the car has just a little over 50k on it and never had synthetic oil, i researched and everyone says different stuff.. so i dunno.. if synthetic id either go with mobil 1 or Q, but if just with the regular oil i have no idea what i should go with
thx in advance

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
i have 87k and I switched at 60k you will be fine,

go with mobil 1

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you actually feel any difference when switching to synthetic oil? or its just better for the engine?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
On my last oil change I used the synthetic penzoil that is suppose to clean your engine out, and since then ive gotten a little better gm. I had 48,000 on my last change.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
it doesn't affect ur engine too much, after 50k, but it can't hurt it thats for sure!!! go w/ mobil 1!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
my dumb ass put royal purple is with 80k then it started leaking from my valvecover and oil pan and im sure other places it shouldnt be leaking from as well ... 65 dollar oil change drained out 2 weeks after i did it then i went to castrol gtx highmileage guess im in denial that my wedge is getting older

·
Registered
52 Posts
I switched to AMSOIL the first oil change in my focus (and every car i own) and I have noticed it starts easier and the oil and oil filter are guaranteed for 25k miles. Have had it in now 18k with no leaks and it is a 0w-20 100% synthetic. Oil was about 8 bucks a quart and filter was 13. a 63 dollar oil change you do once a year is better than a 20 dollar oil change 4 times a year IMO.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Use Mobil 1 full syn. change every 7 miles along with filter. sometime earlier based on my driving conditions. Engine runs a little smoother.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright.. thx for the replys guys.. i bought castrol full syn on saturday, lol it was on sale.. 5w-20.. so how often should i change oil now? i used to do it every 5km with convectional?

·
Registered
52 Posts
alright.. thx for the replys guys.. i bought castrol full syn on saturday, lol it was on sale.. 5w-20.. so how often should i change oil now? i used to do it every 5km with convectional?
Synthetic should be changed about twice as often as conventional, but make sure you're not chincing on the filter, a crappy filter can let oil deterioriate faster. Use a Motorcraft filter and change it every 10km.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I suggest reading or participating in the following site. Its amazing how much technical knowledge there is there. Basically you can change to a full synthetic anytime most cars do not have cork gaskets anymore and those were what caused some leaks. Based on testing from that site some of the better oils include Motorcrafts very popular 5W20 semi-synthetic especially when price is factored in. Also very popular is the new formulation that Valvoline has introduced. One of the best if not the best is the Castrol synthetic from Germany. Its hard to find and isn't always available in the desired weights. The oil is green in color for the ultimate cool factor. Usually comes in a green bottle as well but you have to look for the made or imported from Germany on the label.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Why would you change your oil sooner if you go to synthetic? I use penzoil platinum in my car and i changed it when i would if i had regular oil and it didnt look dirty at all. I definitely dont take it easy when i drive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go mobil one and change every 5,000 miles, when you factor in the price of conventional oil and the regular 3,000 mile service interval, the price is about the same.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
but factor in less wear on the engine, and its a no-brainer. I use amsoil 5w20/Motorcraft filters. Conventional oils just can't beat synthetic, it's a proven fact.

·
Registered
52 Posts
but factor in less wear on the engine, and its a no-brainer. I use amsoil 5w20/Motorcraft filters. Conventional oils just can't beat synthetic, it's a proven fact.
when you say amsoil 5w-20 i assume you mean the xl series? That is about the equivilent of mobil one where you still have to change it soon. The only 100% synthetics from amsoil would be either a 0w-20 or 5w-30 for a focus. (I am an Amsoil dealer)

·
Registered
804 Posts
motorcraft 5w-20 every 3-5,000 miles for me and i always change my filter every oil change no use recirculating the old stuff inside of filter with the new oil

here in FL my oil is only ten bux and its still partial synthetic which is a good deal on my other non ford cars i use castrol syntec blend with a fram filter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts