Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy 12 hatch with auto. Will it go to 200k+ with just basic maintenance? I put 25-30k a year so id like to keep for a while without dumping a fortune into it like my ranger 230k a few used motors latter.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looking to buy 12 hatch with auto. Will it go to 200k+ with just basic maintenance? I put 25-30k a year so id like to keep for a while without dumping a fortune into it like my ranger 230k a few used motors latter.
What do you consider normal maintenance? Oil change, engine coolant, brake fluid, brake pads/rotors,tires, spark plugs, air/cabin filters is what I do to mine and I should be to 200k in a couple years. I'm at 93,000 miles now and my biggest problem with the car has been the dct clutches(replaced twice). Hoping to be able to get up to 200k though! the car still drives great and has a new feel to it. Only sign of wear is rock chips from ford's new softer paint.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
These kinds of questions can really only be answered on a car to car basis. Pretty much any car sold now days can easily make it well past 200,000 in the right conditions. That requires good maintenance throughout it life and especially through it last years. Gentle use is also a major plus. And no minor flaws in manufacturing that will only show up in later years.

It's kind of a hit or miss especially when dealing with the used market, but if done right and with a little luck, you should easily be able to make it past 200,000 if you take care of your car and don't let small problems turn into big ones.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would avoid any Powershit equipped Ford Focus, go Manual.
I'll second that, go manual. As much trouble the DCT has caused owners with low mileage, I can only imagine >150k... One good thing about the Focus for the long run, is that it uses a timing chain, rather than a belt - a belt that would need replaced at least twice in 200k. Good luck!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
You really have to have enough cars with high mileage to have a track record. I believe there is at least one thread on the forum dealing with high mileage. Ford rates the life of the turbo in the Ecoboost models at 150,000 miles but sans turbo, who knows how long the normally aspirated motor will last.

I also advise going with the 5 speed manual. Trouble free, a totally different experience from the DCT. (I have owned both)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for advice

Are they going to fix problem with the b.s. auto trans. What does it usually cost to fix or is it simple enough to fix on my own, I can pull motors change clutches or replace parts. Want a family car but wife refuses to drive stick.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check the video here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6037226&postcount=6

Doing THIS clutch yourself just isn't going to be practical. Ford special tools & computer hookup to get it done plus initial programming/adjustment.

There was a satisfaction campaign extending clutch/seals/programming warranty to 7/100, but that's only including production thru mid July '13 IIRC. Paid replacement looks to be similar to the price for a manual clutch at the dealer from what I've seen posted so far.

Only reports to date include cars just past 100,000, too new to have examples at 150-200.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If your want a "C" class car that will last a long time with minimal maintenance, buy a Corolla or Civic. If you want a car with more style and driving enjoyment, consider a Focus.

My Focus experience suggests to me the basic structure is very solid, the interior seems to be of high-quality, long-lasting materials and most mechanical bits suggest an long, uneventful life. The dual-clutch automatic is the wild card. Ford says its life span is 150,000 miles. I'll be delighted if mine makes it that far, even though I do a lot of highway miles.

So, will a DCT Focus give its owner 200,000+ miles of trouble-free service? Maybe, but I'd plan on sticking considerable $ into the DCT on the way and hope for a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Are they going to fix problem with the b.s. auto trans. What does it usually cost to fix or is it simple enough to fix on my own, I can pull motors change clutches or replace parts. Want a family car but wife refuses to drive stick.
As mentioned looks like an expensive fix not a typical shade tree mechanic job, I'm guessing with labor and parts probably around $1000 to $1500 anyone that knows, feel free to correct me. I am just basing this on my recent clutch pack replacement and labor rates with the dealers here.

I looked up the clutch pack online, $300-$500, other parts were included but I did not look too deep into those. Labor is the big one, since I saw some pictures and the video posted above of one being replaced, requires special tools and the entire bell housing was pulled and work was done on a bench. The dealer had my car for 5 days, which included waiting for parts.

I was told by the dealer that the Rev D clutch pack is made to be cleaned, that is not replaced like the old rev. Supposedly they changed the material of the clutch itself so it could be cleaned of oil, so the new seal fix alone is not good enough for Ford to feel confident it will solve the problems so that alone gives me no confidence they will ever fix the Powershit. I do not plan on owning my car after 40K miles based on current usage and where I'll be in payoff at that point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2014, after 11k I have averaged 35.6MPG. I would take a pic and show you but its in the shop being repaired after a tree came down on her (4300 in damage....Grrr).

BTW 5 speed manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts