Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some vinyl sheets over my dash pieces right now that I got from autoaccessorystore.com which don't look TOO bad, but I really want to ACTUALLY paint the pieces...who knows the best kind of paint to use and where to get it? I know there's a "how to" on here but curious if my maybe there's somebody else with a twilight blue focus that might know a good color that matches and what kind works best on that material? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I always recommend using vinyl-based paint such as DuPont or PPG paint. (found at local automotive paint supplier)

Bright Atlantic Blue (Ford/1998)

Sprayed with.

1 pint of paint + spray unit + sandpaper/laquer thinner is approx $60.

Might want to go with Duplicolor if you want to spend less... But the metallic flake from mixed paint just awesome. That, and it's adhesion is superior. I can't scratch it, or flake off with my fingernail or anything, even in extreme heat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....doesn't sound TOO expensive and it looks AWESOME! You think Autozone or someplace like that might carry that stuff or am I gonna have to find a specifically paint shop?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate interior paint jons, but FOCI_FOSHO, that picture pains me with its beauty.

But seriously, if youre not going for krazy colors, Krylon Fusionz is great. I used it (matte black) on my gearshift surround piece and it looks much better than the stock grayish color. Yet it also looks bonestock and is impervious to scratches! Watch me scratch it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
NvyGuardsman said:
Thanks....doesn't sound TOO expensive and it looks AWESOME! You think Autozone or someplace like that might carry that stuff or am I gonna have to find a specifically paint shop?
autozone doesn't carry it. Autozone carries krylon fuzion and duplicolor... which aren't bad paints...

Check your local phone book under the directory "automotive paint" or "automobile paint"

The shop I goto around here is called "the color factory" and they do a great job at providing me with knowledge. I suggest you do the same, Just walk in, and start talking to the guy about what you want to do to your car... they'll lead you in the right direction.

Just tell them, you would like DuPont vinyl based paint in a nice beautiful color, and they'll show you a book with tons of paint chips, where you can pick out the one you want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow that sounds like an awesome Sunday afternoon to me...me and another car buff checkin out swatches of paint for my interior...lol. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used normal acrylic exterior emanel. I used some special plastic cleaner, and i special adhesion promoter primer and the paint is still flexible, and not cracking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts