Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, iv been hearing alot about new valvbodies being installed when doing exhaust, headers, and intake mods. never reallly looked into valvebodies before. can someone tell me what they are exactly? like what do they do? and where they are on the car? (sorry thats a total noob question)

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
The Valve body is the heart of an automatic trans. it controls the flow and pressure inside the trans and when modified can help a trans live with increased power levels. You may have heard the term "Shift Kit" used before and they do a similar job of modifying the operation of the Trans. The upgraded Valve bodies everyone is referring to is one that's been modified for a specific power level by a company known for there work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok now my question is whats a throttle body. i think i meant to ask that in the first question but gottem mixed up :/

·
Registered
90 Posts

The circles rotate to allow air to enter the intake. think of this as your mouth. open mouth, air comes in, close your mouth air depletes.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
That would be the Valve that controls the amount of air going into the engine, its hooked to your right foot via the Gas pedal. or the computer if your have a drive by wire system. If you look at your air filter box it will be on the end of your intake manifold with either a few cables coming out of it or a big plug for the dbw guys.
here is a picture of mine (Its a drive by wire one)

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yours is a conventional throttle body. Its the separating point between the high pressures of outside the intake manifold and the low pressure in the manifold.

The wires coming off of it are the wires hooked to the TPS (throttle position sensor) which basically allows different amounts of voltage back to the computer which it correlates with throttle position so it can know how far you have the throttle opened.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah so that would be the wire one the top of the tube next to the manifold that goes back towards the back of the engine. i think? but cool thanks guys figured id learn as much as possible bout the intake and stuff before i go messing with it. trying to sharpen my know how of my engines and such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts