Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what speed do you find that you are getting the best gas mileage?

Is it an RPM sweet spot or an MPH sweet spot?

I have about 400 miles on my SE Sport, and do not want to drive too fast until well after break in period.

Bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bill, I have a 5spd hatchback 2012. I usually get 32-34 MPG town and a trip or two about 35 miles long mixed in there. Highway i was getting around 36-38 MPG. There other day I drove about 200 miles and a lot of it was paved back roads, doing about 50-55 MPH. I looked at my computer in the car and it said 40 MPG. I am thinking I found that sweet spot, but its a little slower than I would like. I am sure the 6spd auto trans. is going to have a high MPH sweet spot.

J

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
When I go over 2500 rpm my mileage seems to drop.
6sp auto
if youre punching it lol, but if youre keeping a steady pace at say 75-80 you should be seeing over 30mpg... not 38, that's peak mpg and 80mph is too fast for that, lol

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
Here's my sweet spot

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the information I was looking for! And a picture is worth a thousand words, or 42.2 MPG!

You have a major advantage over most of us...
No hills in Florida!
They kill gas mileage here in NY.

Here's my sweet spot

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting information from REDFOCZ. I have a Scan Guage on my Focus so can get a read on instant MPG. I have observed that at a steady 45 MPH the guage reads 53 MPG. At a steady speed of 60 MPH it reads 43 MPG and at a steady speed of 65 MPH it reads 39 MPG. I now have almost 3,000 miles on my Focus and for the 1st 8 tanks I've averaged 36.4 MPG - - about 75% highway miles - - traveling 67/68 MPH on the Interstates.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I was amazed my car coasted three blocks withput slowing down at all (in neutral manual tranny) going 30mph.
The pavement was level. Probably a little tail wind..
And yeah, a car is supposed to be most efficient around 40mph. With the great arodynamics on the Focus, that may be pushed up to 50mph..
My new (one weekold) car seems to like freeways with no one else around. good steady 60mph.. 50 mph.. as long as no stops!

·
Registered
573 Posts
2000 rpm on the highway and 1500 rpm on the surface streets seems to get me the best.

I tested by going to S mode and shifting myself and seeing how slow I could go and hang in the top gears (for highest ratio).

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
35 mph in 5th gear with no stops gets you over 50. Dead serious.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I do this in town. I'm usually in 5th gear by the time I hit 50-55 km/hr. Do you go through all the gears or shift 1-3-5?
I go through all of them. Coming to a stop I downshift a gear if I'm in 4th or 5th then throw in the clutch and drop to neutral when the time is right (around 1500rpm maybe), because it takes no fuel to coast throttle free in gear with this engine. It needs fuel to run in neutral though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
kgoshia,
How did you get the map indicator on the instrument cluster?
I was told that my focus had some sort of GPS thing, but I do not know what it is, or how to work it yet.
Going outside to play with it in a few minutes.

Bill

EDIT: Just went out, and figured it out a little.
It connected my phone to an 800 number, I spoke the address then it could not locate the car so I had to add starting address then I heard MODEM tones and I think I disconnected too soon.
Too much BS, I am keeping my Garmin on the windshield!

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l518/kgoshia/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

I seemed to get my MPG reading stabilized around 38-39MPG cursing a 60-65MPH with AC on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting information from REDFOCZ. I have a Scan Guage on my Focus so can get a read on instant MPG. I have observed that at a steady 45 MPH the guage reads 53 MPG. At a steady speed of 60 MPH it reads 43 MPG and at a steady speed of 65 MPH it reads 39 MPG. I now have almost 3,000 miles on my Focus and for the 1st 8 tanks I've averaged 36.4 MPG - - about 75% highway miles - - traveling 67/68 MPH on the Interstates.
53 mpg at the speed of 45...interesting. Since I keep hearing about the lowest speed that the car reaches highest gear yields best gas mileage, do you know what speed that would be for a 2012 Focus? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts