Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 2014 focus this weekend, which one would you choose, the SE or the Titanium and what options would you choose.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been thinking about a new car lately and thought that exact same question myself, haha.

I'm a person that likes options, so for me, it's kind of like, when do I stop optioning up an SE and just get a Titanium?

For me, my ideal SE would have the Sport Package Plus option which has the 17" rims and fog lights and leather wrapped steering wheel, nicer cloth seats, rear disk brakes, ambient lighting and etc. I'd also get the Winter Package which adds heated seats and heated side mirrors. Then I'd add the MyFord Touch package which adds MFT, electronic climate control and the Sony audio system. Navigation is also a must. Last option is the Ruby Red metallic paint. I have no interest in leather or a moonroof.

However, for like a thousand dollars more, I can get a Titanium with all of those options standard (except for nav and paint) plus a few extras like intelligent access (push button start). I think they also come with a power driver's seat. Only knock against the Titanium is the black surrounds in the headlights. I hate that, much prefer the chrome.

·
Adam
2,303 Posts
I think the new ones you can option an SE for less than a Titanium. But I'd get a loaded SE with sports package if I had to go back. But it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't want MFT or sync (don't use Siri much on my iPhone anyhow). Maybe leather seats, auto climate, ambient lighting, stuff like that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the new ones you can option an SE for less than a Titanium. But I'd get a loaded SE with sports package if I had to go back. But it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't want MFT or sync (don't use Siri much on my iPhone anyhow). Maybe leather seats, auto climate, ambient lighting, stuff like that.
MFT is definitely a bit of a dog, I'd look into whether after-market stereo systems might be better for you. The biggest problem about doing this is that the Metra dash kit is (in my opinion) ugly as hell. You can also look into installing heated/cooled seats into a car that doesn't already have it. I would miss the push to start though. I'm really surprised how much I love that feature.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a titanium with the sport tuned suspension, 18" tires. I rented a focus SE while on business and when I say this I mean no disrespect, but it was like driving Grandmas car. There is no comparison the TI is fun to drive feels great corners fantastic just feels great.....The SE was just a car a nice car but just a car, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The Ti is made from Titanium whereas the SE is made from tin.
The choice should be obvious.

Seriously, the Ti has an upscale feel to it. I would be far less happy with a SE.
Whoever tuned the suspension in my car deserves some kind of award.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I love my Ti, the push to start and intelligent access are amazing. MFT isn't great but it looks a hell of a lot better then the standard system with all those buttons, that thing is a mess.

I do wish I had an ST but the I'm loving the gas mileage of the Ti.

·
Registered
307 Posts
They had one very close to ideal for me on the lot, drove it, loved it - $ 3500.00 off of MSRP (no moonroof but life is tough)
[loveff]

·
Registered
67 Posts
For me, the SE with the 201A package made the most sense. The 201A package gives you all the things the sport package does (17" alloys, rear disc brakes, fog lights, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter), and adds power (driver's side) leather sports seats, satellite radio, ambient lighting, and perimeter alarm. I wanted no part of the MFT quagmire. And the Ti doesn't have any special suspension tuning or more power than the SE. And go with a manual trans, and spare yourself the DCT trouble!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
They had one very close to ideal for me on the lot, drove it, loved it - $ 3500.00 off of MSRP (no moonroof but life is tough)
[loveff]
Moonroof is the one thing mine is missing.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Moonroof is the one thing mine is missing.

Yeah, I got a fairly loaded Ti HB but chose to NOT get a moonroof. I knew I'd never find a Ti without moonroof on any lot so I bit the bullet and figured on ordering. And, since I was going to order anyway I picked exactly what I wanted.

I did originally order it with the sport suspension and no MFT/NAV but I got to looking at the price for replacement tires and at the time (May 2012) the average price difference between 18's and 17's was about $75/tire so I called to change the order. I deleted the sport package and added the MFT/NAV option and I'm glad on both counts.

I also got the parking package with backup camera and auto park feature. I've only used the auto park feature about 5-6 times and then mostly just testing it out so I could have lived without it, but having the backup camera is a very nice feature. The sonar sensors front and rear are actually more valuable to me than the backup camera as it has prevented me from scraping my air dam as has happened with previous cars.

All-in-all I couldn't be happier with my choice and in my case it took 6 weeks of waiting to get it.

Brian

·
Registered
122 Posts
For me, the SE with the 201A package made the most sense. The 201A package gives you all the things the sport package does (17" alloys, fog lights, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter), and adds power (driver's side) leather seats, satellite radio, ambient lighting, and perimeter alarm. I wanted no part of the MFT quagmire. And the Ti doesn't have any special suspension tuning or more power than the SE. And go with a manual trans, and spare yourself the DCT trouble!
I had the same thoughts as you >> 2013 SE. I use a tomtom for navigation and use it worldwide on trips so saw no reason to get built-in nav. I've had 30 cars over years and like focus better than the rest of them except the 1968 2002. I'm 6-2, 230 lbs and can drive it for ten hours without getting sore back, only a few of my other cars ( '79 saab, and the bmw) did that.

SWMBO insisted on the dct or she wouldn't go along with the rest of it. Except for one glitch early on, it's been ok. I tell spouse it's chuckling when it clatters at 20 mph.

we keep cars until they don't work anymore, so my choice might not make sense for someone who turns them over - think out of date nav software, etc.

john

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I only got approved enough for a standard se hatchback. However, since I prefer to mod anyway I knew it wouldn't be a problem since I would be altering stuff for the better. Plus I loved the hatchback and had to get into the platform regardless of the base/top tier level. In the back of my head I was thinking it would cost more money to replace all the upgradable stuff that could break down the road. The only two things I wish I could've individually selected were 1) foglights 2) rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To me, the SE Hatchback with the 201A package is the sweet spot. I bought a used 2013 Oxford White SE Hatchback with 201A package (my first Focus) about two weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier. It has everything I could need or want (4 wheel disc brakes, 17" wheels, fog lights, power driver's seat with lumbar support, split fold down rear seats, leather seating surfaces and leather covered steering wheel and shifter, Sirius satellite radio, ambient interior lighting, and SYNC), and nothing I don't need (like My Touch).

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
When I bought my SEL in 2012 I thought I didn't need MFT, subwoofer, intelligent start, heated seats, etc. But now that I splurged and replaced it with the Ti, I love all that stuff. I seem to get more features with every car purchase over the last 15 years and haven't regretted getting anything so far.

I say if you spend a lot of time in the car and plan to keep it a while, get it loaded and enjoy it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Ti is just a sweeter ride and looks better. Black shrouds around the lights, stiffer feel and ten speakers to listen to. The moon roof is awesome for watching U.F.O's while you drive. I could go on and on. Still hate those little rubber flappy things in the cup holders drives me nuts. Oh well whatever model you have enjoy they are all awesome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I almost went with the ti. What I got instead was a ST and never will go back. Drove a SE while tsb was being done and felt that I took a step way back. If anything the ti is a better choice after the ST. An SsE would be dead last for me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts