Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i had my t-stat housing replaced a while back and a little afterwards, my anitfreeze started to turn brown. the brown coolant has stained up my overflow tank and all you see is brown in it now. to make a long story short, i have gotten it flushed twice and the coolant is still brown. i don't believe it's the mechanic either since i went to two different ones. my question is will i need to get my whole coolant system replaced? i'm really thinking about doing it because i'm so sick and tired of seeing brown in the overflow tank. the car doesn't overheat or anything. only quirk was that the car(temp gauge) would stay cool unless the car was idling for long time. but i got a new t-stat today along with the second flush and so far that's gone. i don't know what to do and its pissing me off. makes me wanna sledge hammer my radiator and everything under the hood. Help![rant] [?|] [?|]

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
Is it oily, I mean is there a gloss on top? Is it rusty looking? Before recently have you flushed it? What antifreeze are you using? I have heard that if you mix antifreezes it sludges up. Good luck. keep the Malibu blue on road.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Coolant turning brown is a oops in a gasket to me or just very old coolant. It sounds like a little oil is leaking in to the coolant system. This is very bad. A gasket is bad and can only get worse. The problem is actually finding the leak without ripping the whole engine apart. Have you had any CEL for coolant pressure or coolant level.

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no CEL at all and oil looks fine. only leak i know for sure is the valve cover gasket. the coolant looks nasty is how i can describe it. the mechanic put in orange dex cool. said he flushed it 3 times and all gunk was coming out of it. my only guess is something is rusting out. i dunno what though. radiator looks fine. ugh. i'm convinced i won't ever have clean coolant again. :(

·
Registered
753 Posts
GET THAT $HITTY DEXCOOL OUTTA YOUR ENGINE PRONTO!!!! That stuff has screwed up more cars than you can imagine.No wonder its brown.Have your system dumped and refilled with normal coolant,NOT DEXCOOL.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Check your oil dipstick, if it looks like there's a substance resembling a milkshake on the end you have a head gasket leak. I'd put my money on your coolant and oil is intermixing...have you been noticing excessive amounts of steam coming of your exhaust?

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GET THAT $HITTY DEXCOOL OUTTA YOUR ENGINE PRONTO!!!! That stuff has screwed up more cars than you can imagine.No wonder its brown.Have your system dumped and refilled with normal coolant,NOT DEXCOOL.
car never had dexcool in it before today when i got my second flush done. brown started to happen after i got my tstat housing replaced with green coolant.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How are they flushing it? Just draining and refilling it or actually running a bottle of flush through it and sticking a hose in the coolant jug and letting it run out of the car? To aid in flushing, you can pull off the upper radiator hose too while flushing.

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they said they put in a additive to help flush all the crap out. Ok, so today i'm going to work, about 30-40min each way, i notice the water temp gauge going up a bit, about half way between the normal temp mark and the danger zone. the temp stayed there for a bit but went back down. i didn't think much of it. then when i went to go on break at work, i turn the car on, warm it up a little, and then drove. so now while i'm idling at a light, i hear some sort of a weird whizzing sound. so now i'm thinking if my water pump is shot and it's causing the coolant to go brown because the impeller is rusting out. the damn temp gauge went up and down twice while i was driving home at about 70-75mph. holy crap, this coolant issue has me stressed the the hell out and i'm gettin pissed. i'm almost at the point where i'm going to sledge hammer my whole engine in half. has anyone ever experienced something like this? i have spent more than $300 trying to figure out this stupid problem. I NEED HELP!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
1st.. have your cooling system pressure tested... you can get it done for free at most places and it'll tell you if you have a gasket issue (just to rule it out)

2nd... if the impeller was rusting out, it wouldnt keep coming back like your saying...

I believe that its all the build up and corrosion from never having the coolant system flushed... and doing it the first time has loosend all of it up so the problem keeps coming back... and this could also be causing your new t-stat to stick which could cause your temp issues...

I would have it pressure tested just to rule out head gasket failure or something of that sort. Then I would run a few cans of radiator flush through it then drain it completely (i believe there is a way to drain the block as well, a plug or something)... then re-fill w/ 50-50 of water and motorcraft coolant... no green crap or dexcool... the factory coolant doesnt like to blend w/ others so it will gum up and cause problems.

If this doesnt fix it, take it back to the shop that did the work in the first place and complain about it.

-AcId-

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so I'm going to attempt to flush the whole system out by myself. This is going to be my first time doing it so I need some help on getting this done. What's the best way to flush my cooling system? since I don't think our cars has a radiator cap. I'm also thinking about buying the prestone flush additive to see if i can finally get rid of all the gunk in my cooling system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts