Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i dropped my car off at the mechanic this morning to get a flush and new thermostat done. i pick up the car a little after 12pm. i pay the guy and leave. i pull in to a parking lot to check if my antifreeze still brown. and god, it's still brown. at first i thought the mechanic had just ripped me off but i saw there was splash marks by where the drain bung on the raidator. so my question is wtf is wrong with my cooling system???? this started to happen after i got a new t-stat housing done a while back. do ya'll think they put in some cheap coolant and now my whole thing is messed up? i'm about to friggin sledge hammer my car in half. [:(!]

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
generally you get purple or brown antifreeze when you have a blown head gasket. probably not the case here, because you'd more than likely know there was a bigger problem

are you sure they didn't put in your old stuff?

there is some orange antifreeze out there, but you're not soposed to put it in a focus.

I'd go to the garage and ask why it's brown.

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well supposedly, according to the receipt they put in dex cool. and the guy told me he tried cleaning the overflow tank but when i looked at it, the thing was still brown as hell. i'm guessing it's baked on to the overflow tank...

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
the reservoir will drain on it's own when you drain it. if he DID put in new antifreeze then you'd be able to open the cap on the reservoir and see it being a differant color, if the brown is "baked in" to the plastic reservoir

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, just went back to the mechanic and asked him why the coolant is still brown. he said the system wasn't maintained well, and there's still stuff in the block that he can't get it all out. he said he flushed it 3 times. and then i asked him about the orange dex cool, because i thought only GM's can have that. he said it's for ford too and i will be fine. now my question is, i had green coolant to begin with when i bought the car and why would he put in orange now? i didn't want to argue with the damn guy so i just left. should i be worried i have orange dex cool in my car now? i'm at just frustrated with this whole thing. i want to like break something.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
tommy, when i used to work at autozone, some new stuff was coming up, there is a couple of brands out there that they make a universal antifreeze, that u can mix with any color, any brand...
if he used that stuff and the system was flushed, i wouldn't worry about.
if it makes you feel better, get 2 gallons of any antifreeze that you think is good, and we'll do it on saturday...
we'll hook a hose to it, and we'll drain and flush the whole thing.

i'm waiting 'till it gets a darker out to take a pic of the taillight on the stang.
do u think he mind that i copied the taillights?

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i dunno about that dex cool. i'm finding alot of articles online saying how it destroys seals and gaskets and stuff. it's not overheating so i guess i should be fine. i get nervous when it comes to these things. it's my only car for everything. if it goes i'm done. maybe i will do it saturday, i dunno. i don't think i will ever get rid of coolant turning brown. ugh. all this started after getting the tstat housing done. i hate mechanics even though i want to be one. ugh. well, at least the car doesn't stay cold no more when i'm driving. finally, i can turn on the heat and actually have some hot air coming out of it. and yeah i'm anxious to see how it will look on ur stang. nah, he doesn't care you copied the tail lights. that's the last thing on his mind right now.

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm about to buy the black coolant tank cover from svt's so i won't have to look at the ugly brown overflow tank. :p

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dunno where i'm gonna get it from. haven't looked around yet. i feel like blasting my car engine with a sledge hammer and puttin in a v8. haha.

·
SONIC ZX3
2,253 Posts
yo we should just flush out the antifreeze and do it again like javier said. even if the antifreeze in it is okay when we put in the new stuff at least you can sleep at night. if your looking for the cover new edge has it but i think myfordperformance is the cheapest. i could see if ford has one when i go this week to get my new coolent cap.

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dunno about flushing it again. i'm truly considering to save up money and think of buying a new car instead of doing anymore mods to my car...

·
Still Crusin
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another foci i suposse...
I dunno Javier... I prob won't go the Ford route after this one... I have had a good share of problems with my car, not to mention the idiot dealerships I gotta deal with around here. I will prob go with an import unless I can find an SVT Foci for a deal in good condition... but I doubt it.[dunno]

1 - 20 of 62 Posts