Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started replacing the t-stat housing and all that jazz since my focus is overheating, we just bought this for 500, not a bad car, however I looked and saw this disconnected...wtf is it? I re-connected it and didnt know a difference, Is there a gasket of some sort that goes in between the head and tstat housing? I didnt see one when I pulled it off, seems to be leaking from soemwhere in the area though...hopefully not a cracked head...??

2.0 zetec DOHC I beleive

Close Up

Farther

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The item your looking at is an EGR valve. The ufo looking thing. The bottom of the egr valve is supposed to be connected to that open pipe. Something will need to be done, because that's going to have exhaust gases coming out of it. Your EGR recirculates usefull exhaust gases back into the intake to reuse, to save gas and reduce emissions and it actually cools the engine temps(DING DING DING)(With hot exhaust gases leaking in your engine bay and no NOX exhaust gases to cool the engine, it may be worsening your problem)

Fixes
1. Re hook it up. But if it was unhooked, the egr may have been bad. Replace EGR valve if bad.
2. Follow EGR delete(Found in HowTo section or on Focushacks.com)Will throw a code.
3. Remove all EGR components, including DPFE, Block of EGR pipes on Intake and Exhaust manifolds. Will throw code.
Both 2 and 3 you could get a tune to delete the egr so you don't get a code.

Also....The leaking thermostat housing is a common problem on the zetec engine.
It's caused by a bad factory valve cover gasket causing dripping oil into the crack of the housing and destroying the gasket and plastic housing. You should replace the valve cover gasket and then the thermostat housing w/ (A new gasket, Yes there should be one between the block and the housing)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My EGR setup after cut out.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Intake side EGR pipe on bottom

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My Intake manifold EGR hole plugged up w/ epoxy

I hope I helped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I have coolant leaking from somewhere around the tstat housing again, I need to pull it back off is there a gasket that goes in between the head and the plastic housing? I didnt get one and didnt see any that fit in the other boxes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just plugged the little tube with a screwdriver and it seems to drive alot better, I have a clunking/ grinding coming from the front end now, and for some reason it feels like it is floating as I drive it, at speed above 50 it seems to sway back and forth..something with the suspension, and now a heavy engine knock..still steaming, however keeping cool...

I am lost as hell with this..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hmmm... interesting.

"On a lot of Foci, the DPFE and EGR act sort of strange when cruising, and can give the feel of throttle "flutter" or like you're driving into gusty winds when you are not."

Can this desctibe your problem ?? if so, then your DPFE is shot. DPFE is a sensor that controls the position of the EGR valve (open/close) with vacuum. They do fail.

Read this - More on the problem and description

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

Detailed guide on DPFE and ways of avoiding it.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=66

This was probably faulty thus it was disconnected. If you do the work around have the UFO thing plugged in though and then follow the guide.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts