Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa462/chadxit/?action=view&current=MVI_0022.mp4

It goes clud/pop/tlop whenever I accelerate from a stop or near stop and in some cases brake
Just now I noticed it did this twice, after a bump a certain way it will continue to make this noise as I drive until it decides to stop
I can sort of feel it through the gas pedal when the noise happens

I'm pretty sure the strut mount at the top is on tight to 35ftlbs because I used a torque wrench and I counted the threads on the top of the old ones, it shows 3 past the nut, I also have 3 past the nut on the new ones
It didn't do it when the struts first went in, it started a bit afterwards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tie Rod Ends?

I don't have a lot of experience with the newer models but did you do anything with the tie rod ends because that sound like its thudding when the angles of toe are changing which would mean tie rod ends. The other thing which is another shot in the dark is a trans or engine mount I saw you are at about 50k miles and sometimes the start to go bad on the older models or mine did when I got the car. What you can do to check is have a friend or relative stand on the side of the car, with the hood up put the car in park then switch to drive and see if the engine jumps my best bet is that it will be a tie rod end. To check jack the car up and take off the wheel. Support the car and than take the jack stand and compress under the call joint upward. If the tie rod end nut is not up against the tie rod end then there is your problem. Also check ball joints with that car jacked up and place a pry bar under the wheel and lift up it should have no movement and I mean no clunking or sudden jerks if need be check out videos on how to check these youtube has tunes of them. Best of luck and hope you either find to problem or have found and I hope I helped.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed it!
I removed the endlinks and adjusted their length to be longer and it seems to have made all the noises go away!

The other noise had something to do with the caliper, I unbolted the whole bracket and caliper and looked at it for problems, found nothing and put it back and it never made the noise again

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
End link lenght!

I fixed it!
I removed the endlinks and adjusted their length to be longer and it seems to have made all the noises go away!

The other noise had something to do with the caliper, I unbolted the whole bracket and caliper and looked at it for problems, found nothing and put it back and it never made the noise again
Did you measure the lenght= same for same? Did you shorten them? Did you get any heim joint boot's? My noise was a clunking noise over bump's & it turned out to be loose end link's= tighten no noise. Now you need to lower your car,HUH!!!

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to make them longer for them to have some tension so they don't flop around

1 - 5 of 5 Posts