Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled up to my house after work and opened my driver door with the engine still running. It sounded louder than normal. When I opened the door I thought my muffler was off as the sound was coming from near my back door. I knelt down and put my hand next to the ground and it seems to come from the pic below. I think it is a resonator or something? It's before the muffler and exhaust is coming from the seam. The pic really doesn't show much.

What is it exactly called? How much to replace? Can it be welded shut? What damage can this possibly do until I can address this?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's before my muffler, isn't it? There is my muffler, then it connects to a tube which leads to this part, more centered under my car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. So i need to buy a new one of those of it isn't repairable. I was planning on taking my car to a coworkers machine shop so he could weld on the brackets for my rear sway bar tomorrow. I'll see if he can work some magic on that just to get me by until I can pay to get it fixed. Am I OK to go for a bit if not fixable, other than the obnoxious noise?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
OK. So i need to buy a new one of those of it isn't repairable. I was planning on taking my car to a coworkers machine shop so he could weld on the brackets for my rear sway bar tomorrow. I'll see if he can work some magic on that just to get me by until I can pay to get it fixed. Am I OK to go for a bit if not fixable, other than the obnoxious noise?
Make sure to scuff up the rust off the cradle where your welding. Man thats one of the issues living back there as well as others.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah tell me about it Felix. My friend is a good welder. I'll ask him to work some magic on the muffler, along with the sway bar. If he can't do anything about the muffler, am I going to be OK for a few weeks?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah tell me about it Felix. My friend is a good welder. I'll ask him to work some magic on the muffler, along with the sway bar. If he can't do anything about the muffler, am I going to be OK for a few weeks?
Your welder will most likely tell you unless there's some solid rust free metal on the muffler (looking at your pictures its almost impossible to find) its just about impossible to keep a muffler leak patched for any length of time because of the corrosive environment its exposed to in the inside and out.
Ive tried to patch mufflers up that blew out from corrosion and it was an effort in futility trying to keep it in one piece because if its showing rust on the outside, the inside is 100 times worse!. Its best to replace it ASAP!.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What am i looking at for difficulty to install and price of part? Just look up on 07 muffler?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
What am i looking at for difficulty to install and price of part? Just look up on 07 muffler?
Great time to a exhaust system, unless thats not in the budget. Just hitup your freindly muffler shop & have them replace your muffler w/ a universal muffler.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great time to a exhaust system, unless thats not in the budget. Just hitup your freindly muffler shop & have them replace your muffler w/ a universal muffler.
I'm sorry to keep asking you these questions, felix. But is there any exhausts you'd recommend that wouldn't break me? I'm tight on money right now as it is. Threw more into the car than I originally anticipated. Don't get me wrong, I love how the car runs and it was worth it. But probably could have done it not so quickly!

Thanks.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'm sorry to keep asking you these questions, felix. But is there any exhausts you'd recommend that wouldn't break me? I'm tight on money right now as it is. Threw more into the car than I originally anticipated. Don't get me wrong, I love how the car runs and it was worth it. But probably could have done it not so quickly!

Thanks.
If you don't have 'bout $400. then just hitup a muffler shop. A trip to the muffler shop will keep you enjoying the car & not break you.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you don't have 'bout $400. then just hitup a muffler shop. A trip to the muffler shop will keep you enjoying the car & not break you.
Yep, too much for me right now. Maybe next spring will be a better time for me. Until then, I'll call around for some sort of shop that would do the job. I don't know of a "muffler shop" other than a normal garage that does auto repairs (both private or commercially owned).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Yep, too much for me right now. Maybe next spring will be a better time for me. Until then, I'll call around for some sort of shop that would do the job. I don't know of a "muffler shop" other than a normal garage that does auto repairs (both private or commercially owned).
I'd hitup a muffler shop, for they specialize in mufflers= keeps the price down.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd hitup a muffler shop, for they specialize in mufflers= keeps the price down.
Found a shop and is actually on my way home! Going to call them for a quote shortly.

as a side note...... I showed the same pics to my coworker/welder friend and he just laughed at me.

I think I got the point.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yah, the el cheapo "muffler bandages" you wrap around them is the only thing that would quiet it temporarily.

Touch a torch to that (electric welding counts) and the material that's left would just disappear. Can see it's that thin from here.

Midas type shop, of course they'll want to do a whole system.

For cheap replacement, check prices at a local NAPA. I've put a few by now on the P/U (S-10) at less than $100 for Cat back on that. (used to be $75 but prices keep rising) A few sections, couple clamps & bolts/nuts/gasket for the front end & you're done. Easiest to break/cut the bolts at the front flange connection & chop the old one in two to remove. new ones slide together & are clamped AFTER bolted/hung in place.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For cheap replacement, check prices at a local NAPA. I've put a few by now on the P/U (S-10) at less than $100 for Cat back on that. (used to be $75 but prices keep rising) A few sections, couple clamps & bolts/nuts/gasket for the front end & you're done. Easiest to break/cut the bolts at the front flange connection & chop the old one in two to remove. new ones slide together & are clamped AFTER bolted/hung in place.
sailor,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean. I try and look up some tutorials and get a better idea of what you mean. I've never worked on any exhaust parts before (actually much of the car at all for the matter until lately).

As for the NAPA suggestion, what should I exactly be looking for that would replace what is broken?

Thanks providing some input though, sailor. Like I said, I'll continue to try to look around from your suggestions.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
sailor,

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean. I try and look up some tutorials and get a better idea of what you mean. I've never worked on any exhaust parts before (actually much of the car at all for the matter until lately).

As for the NAPA suggestion, what should I exactly be looking for that would replace what is broken?

Thanks providing some input though, sailor. Like I said, I'll continue to try to look around from your suggestions.
Good thing you have the interweb now a days vs when I was a teenager & had to figure stuff out myself= LOL Great your learning, Ren!!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I had the advantage of sidewalk superintending when my BF & his Dad were fixing things - I'd watch anyone work on anything if they let me.

Ok then, the "CAT Back" portion of the exhaust is all that's typically replaced from rust issues (header/CAT/flex stay hot enough to resist rusting & materials are often better).

At the end of that front section is a flange (pointy oval shaped) with a pair of bolts/nuts to attach it to the next section of pipe. If you hadn't guessed, the flange has a BIG hole in the center & is welded to the end of each pipe. Gasket in between seals up the joint when bolted together.

Those bolts/nuts will either come apart fairly easily, or be frozen together so bad cutting is the only way to get them apart. Not a tragedy as they're cheap and many tools will make short work of cutting the bolt or grinding a nut/bolt head off.

Past that, the exh. can be considered one piece - if not the factory welded together unit once clamped together they aren't possible to separate.

SO, since it runs over the rear suspension & you don't want to remove that (installed after exh. at factory) the pipe needs to be cut somewhere near there to get both pieces removed (hacksaw is adequate)

Replacements come in multiple pieces, that way the store can stock one common front pipe & muffler & different pieces for the back to accommodate different models (like sedan/hatch/wagon for ours). Hangers come attached, and sometimes there are extra unused ones for different models the part may be used on (bar that fits through rubber exh. hanger to car).

When shopping for the system the catalog would show a basic diagram with the choices for each section noted, based on the models.

Each joint in that is a slip together fit, so length & twist can be varied as installed to make the best fit. One U-Clamp for each joint is purchased to hold them together once assembled & oriented as desired.

You might find std. pieces that would get past the rear suspension, and not get the rear resonator - doing the "lunchbox delete" in the process by finding or having made another piece to get to the tail of the car. (straight sections are avail., if you need a bent one an exh. shop can make one inexpensively)

My P/U uses one muffler & a couple pipe sections, replacement takes about an hour with parts on hand since I've done it before.

That should give you an idea of what's involved, check muffler shop prices vs. parts needed to see if doing it is worth it. (I'll take the savings anytime, and I don't worry about paying extra for "better" mufflers as pipes usually go first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sailor,

Hey, one other option is to look for a used system from another member here on FF. Craigslist is another great place to look for parts for cars. There are also good wrecked cars at salvage yards that may have a super clean system on the cheap. Just some ideas. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts