Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about a scary title, lol.

Basically, I was working on my car (doing the thermostat housing replacement), and noticed this little thing dangling around off the the left rear of my battery:

Its plugged in and all that, looks like it might snap onto the body or something, cause it has a plastic peg on it...but I noticed that metal tab is bent like it should fit somewhere...just wondering what that is and where it goes.

Anyone?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think it snaps on to the battery tray.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
What Is This and Where Does it Go?
what you didn't learn the birds and the bees yet?

lol i think mine just dangles there too, will need to check that then.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ smart arse, lol

ok, well I just wanted to make sure it was ok to just be hanging out there. Not sure how long it was actually doing so, but I havent noticed any ill effects. Thought I would ask. Thanks all!

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
it mounts to the coil bracket on the firewall side on the end nearest the head. its a static noise suppressor for the ignition.
the bent piece of metal is actually the broken off mount.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ any ill effects to it not being mounted?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
mine is disconnected like that too, I don't worry about it and there are no ill effects that I can tell. lol

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just walked out and looked...I can see where it mounts and wow, such a clean break.

Now lemme bring something else up, cause I wonder if it could be related....

I bought some MSD wires and when I installed them, they arced pretty badly, all over the place. Looked like a little lightning storm, cool, but not what i was going for. My car ran like crap too boot. Put the stockers back in and ran fine. Repeat procedure...repeat results.

Sent wires to MSD and they tested ok....odd

Anyways, I am wondering if this might be the reason my car hated the wires [dunno]

·
Registered
666 Posts
I noticed mine was like that too...has been for the longest time. But yeah, noise supressor for the coil.

If anything, I think it keeps the electrical sound out of the stereo...the annoying buzz/ hum that GMs seem to have a problem with when going to aftermarket radios. Preventive measure maybe??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts