Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Radio noise suppression filter. If the wire going into it touches the car frame it will blow a fuse and prevent car from starting (bare wire NOT the insulated wire). The other wire coming out of the filter goes to ground/car frame. You can see your ground wire for it on the left side of the picture... but is it connected to the filter -or- has it been broken off of the filter? -strange angle of that pic makes it hard to tell.

Edit: Oh,... it does look like your ground wire snapped off the body of the filter. Bummer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Radio frequency interference capacitor. They always break like that, but it's a cheap part from Ford. You can drive with it like that. Just don't let the hot side short to ground, it'll blow the 30 amp fuse in the PCM power circuit and you'll have a no start condition.

Toby

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Hi Toby, I guess nobody knows the real name of that filter, or we make it up as we go I guess. How about we call it a Nuke, something easier to remember.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nuke it and your problems disappear....

Capacitor can act as a Filter in radio terms, so either is close enough IMHO.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used to call it the same thing you did, but then I saw it listed as "RFI." Looked that up and found "radio frequency interference." I vote for simplifying it to "capacitor." That would do the job.

Toby

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Fine. Radio noise and frequency flash suppressor capacitor interference filter thingy (RN&FFSCIFT).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK now the $64K question"..............

I have an aftermarket alternator that will not start charging unless the engine has been warmed up above 60C without the dash light showing not charging, then you can restart the car and it charges fine, does this capacitor/ground have any part in that being connected to the CPU?.
The alternator was changed about 2 months ago and don't ask how I know these particular dtails LOL but a very experienced ford mechanic told me it was the alternator anyhow and it needs to be a motorcraft to work right in the car ( beaten down dead horse alert ).
And it will be swapped for a new motorcraft alternator this weekend. I just have suspicions the issues may be related if this part is temp affected. And I got another from salavge to replace it anyways.

Update- if you recognize me from past posts trying to locate a fog light bezel I'd like to report I found it on the same car ysterday and also got the back trunk area cover and the correct color console/armrest - the whole trip under $12

·
Registered
521 Posts
Frequency usurping capacitor klixon integrated terminal.

I doubt it has anything to do with your alternator issue. The only hazard it poses is the short to ground.

Toby

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Nah, the radio noise filter being like it is "not connected to ground" will not cause your Alt charging problem.

The Alt does not have to be a Motorcraft (OEM) brand. OEM alts are often more reliable but NOT required. Lots of different aftermarket Alts are compatible with your car. However, great news that you are replacing it with an OEM alt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx guys!!

I'm just going to be glad not to have to put the odo in diag mode when I leave home just to make sure I'm going to get home !!

And I'm fairly pumped about the fog light bezel, I had the foglight itself and all new Xenon bulbs since April but have not been able to match the bezel from salvage and all the remans don't match and buying both was over $100
Next project is to swap out the seats and that poses the next question. Will the back seat from a 4 door interchange wit a ZX3 ?? They look the same

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
In prev. threads I've seen comments on swapping in a sedan rear seat (or the reverse) & some hdwe. interchange is needed to make the latches functional.

P.S. - good one highball!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK it's out now !! Fittin to go to town and swap it out

Then later today I get to swap out to all Xenon bulds and mount the foglight, downside is it's going to be raining and I have to run 200' of extension cord to solder the wire and heat the shrinktubes

Then in the rain my car won't come up the hill until the ground dries LOL I really need to run electric to that building and lay some gravel LOL downside the gravel needs to be "after" the trench for the wire and I may run into Fred & Barney's hometown to dig it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts