Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What is the state of the platform?

273 5
I am looking to get into time trials and autocross starting from a stock platform. I have a stock 2003 SVT 5-door. I would like to get opinions on the state of the aftermarket and performance support for the SVT. Should I sell and buy something newer or do you think I can get another 3 - 5 yrs parts support out of this car?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
19,359 Posts
Performance emphasis switched from that series engine (zetec) to the next (duratec) a good while back. Zetec production in the cars stopped in '04, the duratec continues today.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
The biggest question is, do you want to be competitive or just have fun? If the latter, great car to do so in and parts are available enough to make an SVT into a more dedicated autox car.

If you want to actually be competitive in your class... good luck. The days where SVTs were able to win H-stock are gone unfortunately. For modified classes, the parts availability just isn't really there compared to other, newer cars.

· FF Affiliate
33,237 Posts
I cant think of anything I can find for a SVT parts wise that I couldnt find and have shipped the same day so parts wise your still good

Performance wise you will be lacking , I you find a 2003 to 2007 ZX3 Duratec you could install the same suspension quality as any SVT parts but the Performance even if you stay with the 2.0 Duratec can get you to 200whp with a little work and you have the option of swapping in a 2.5 Duratec for a hugh gain in TQ

Tom

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the group, I purchased a 2004 SVT for my 16 year old son about 1.5 years ago, nice, fun car to drive, we like it so much I ended up buying a another 2003 "parts car" that was non-running but came with 2 spare transmissions, spare "good' engine and a Jackson supercharger, I decided we are going to build both cars to just have fun at the track and I am in the process of a modest rebuild of one engine (doing it myself) and having another engine being "built" by a good engine builder with good internals for my sons car with the supercharger, so far I have been able to source almost all oem components but it has not been easy or cheap, I am also curious to see what everyone on here says about the aftermarket world for these cars/engines but I can't wait for this summer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts