Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,603 Posts
Porting a blower does help! It helps with the bottleneck inlet/outlet and increases efficency. Cobras can get an increase of 25-50 hp depending on mods.
Like iminhell stated , the PW can only move so much air , you can open the intake to the size of a coffee can and the exit to the size of a 5 gallon pail but if the rotors cannot move any more air ( and they cant ) then doing the intake and exh big wont help

I have had 2 customer that did the porting and it didnt help but about 5 HP , a lot of time and cost for 5 hp

As for alki or water meth its a waste of time and a lot of cost and trouble , for the power your making I dont feel there worth adding , you NEVER want to add water meth and tune for it , its a small safety factor in that is can cool the charge a little but do not tune for it

Tom

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the power works can make more than enough HP. I'm running the 2.4 pulley, ported head and full exhaust, Torsen and I can't get my wheels to stick. With the colder weather in Dallas I'm now spinning the tires in 3rd at times. With this much power, a front wheel drive car can't handle the weight transfer.

That being said. The power works with a couple add ons , is plenty horsepower. The power is very linear so when you hit the gas , your just kind of like" oh I'm going 60 already"
Unlike the torque of a turbo or v8 where it just kicks you in the pants.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Something to be said for enough HP over more than you can use.

Lower gears can't use that much with FWD, even stock ST is limited in the lower ones.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think the power works can make more than enough HP. I'm running the 2.4 pulley, ported head and full exhaust, Torsen and I can't get my wheels to stick. With the colder weather in Dallas I'm now spinning the tires in 3rd at times. With this much power, a front wheel drive car can't handle the weight transfer.

That being said. The power works with a couple add ons , is plenty horsepower. The power is very linear so when you hit the gas , your just kind of like" oh I'm going 60 already"
Unlike the torque of a turbo or v8 where it just kicks you in the pants.
This is so true… at a stock setup with the PWSC, no additional add ons other than a HFC from CFM, and I'm happy with the power. It sure scoots up to 60 on the HWY awful fast… and the sound! With no exhaust upgrades (yet?!) all I hear is that s/c wine, which begs to be pushed more. Using this a summer DD, I'm more than happy with where it's at, and only a tune from Tom is all that's in the Werks at this point ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anybody want to buy a powerworks, I think I just starved my engine of oil, no idea what happened. Hopefully my oil pump is in pieces so I can make some easy sense of it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anybody want to buy a powerworks, I think I just starved my engine of oil, no idea what happened. Hopefully my oil pump is in pieces so I can make some easy sense of it.
Do you know what happened? Seems to be quite the issue with the kit, is the oil lines and the fittings. I know you'll investigate what happened to yours, hopefully you find out what. I've heard numerous stories of these kits blowing the oil lines when pushed. My kit actually blew the oil lines off the block plate when it was being dyno'd. I've got a custom made block plate and new A/N fittings on brand new oil lines, just so this all doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I started the tear down yesterday. So far.

Car was driven 12 miles with a empty dry oil filter

Modified stainless steel line and aftermarket morosso oil plate was intact and looked good so far .

Old black oil was found in the oil line between filter and plate.

Engine has no psi with external gauge.

It does have a light weight flywheel pulley but also has a balanced crank and I'm pretty sure the Zetec is internally balanced.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I got the Engine apart. My oil pump is in pieces and even ended up jaming from metal shavings. I put in a new pump when i rebuilt the engine JDM brand. My engine builder told me it was OEM.

bottom end looks good so far, need to inspect the head better and piston rings.

Hopfully a couple parts, a few gaskets, a stage 3 clutch and 2 stickier front tires later, it will be running better than ever.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
I started the tear down yesterday. So far.

Car was driven 12 miles with a empty dry oil filter

Modified stainless steel line and aftermarket morosso oil plate was intact and looked good so far .

Old black oil was found in the oil line between filter and plate.

Engine has no psi with external gauge.

It does have a light weight flywheel pulley but also has a balanced crank and I'm pretty sure the Zetec is internally balanced.
so your line was clogged?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Might not get an answer , 4 year old thread

Tom
Hey tom I have a 2001 zx3 with a pwsc I just was looking for a full list or decription/guide of what to do to make is as fast as possible like a parts list to buy and install. I've read almost every thread but allot of time you give advice and people dont take the advice they want to do their own thing. However I would like to follow exactly what you lay down. I'm trying to get to 230-250 bhp I dont think past that is possible? I would really appreciate it tom thank you

·
FF Affiliate
30,603 Posts
If it was mine I would add a SVT header , full 3 inch Exh , 180 deg thermostat , Motorcraft SP463 Plugs

Of course my Custom Boost Tune

That will gain you an easy 15-18+ whp , depending on your Tune could be more then that

Tom

41 - 55 of 55 Posts