Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i been reading around and i wanted to know what would be the best gas for a stock zx5, i been runing reg since i bought the car , but i ve hear that premium last longer, will this affect my engine?? will it have any change??? good ?? or baD?? what do you put in your car??

and what do you guys recomend 91, 93 octane??

thanks fo rthe replies

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
to be honest, if it's just stock....any regular grade fuel will be fine. there's not much difference between them besides the ability of the higher octanes to run in higher compression engines, such as forced induction (I.E. turbo/super charged) or the SVT, because of it's higher compression ratio. so truth is, if you don't need it, it really won't make a difference. so basically 91 or 93 for the SVT or any FI vehicles, or for that matter, any with a 10.1 compression ratio or higher, not that you need to know that, just FYI [:)] and 83 or 87, whatever the low and mid grade stuff is, they'll run fine and the same in the Duratec engine [thumb]

in other words though, it all depends on how much you feel like paying [:D]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I like mobil gas or marathon. but you may have ethanol , and that isn't the greatest for your engine unless it can run ethanol.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
if the car was designed to run on regular then run regular gas otherwise you are pissing away your money on more expensive gas.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
+1 Unless your car is tuned for a higher grade fuel, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
921 Posts
i thoguth using a 91 octane fuel leaves ur engine cleaner then a 87 octane.
Not true. The different grades of gasoline all have detergents and compounds designed to help keep carbon build up to a minimum. Running a higher grade of gas than what is needed can result in incomplete combustion, a buildup of excess carbon onto the combustion chamber surfaces, and can lead to early catalytic converter failure. Higher octane fuel burns more slowly and cooler than regular 87.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
They use higher octane on Higher compression cars i.e My dads 07 Shelby GT uses premium where as my truck runs low grade and my focus runs low grade too. The high test gas is more stable and actually is less explosive therefore allowing it to be compressed more before combusting.

·
Registered
921 Posts
^^
Combustion happens when spark is delivered, the piston will reach the top of the stroke regardless of what octane fuel is being injected. Higher octane fuel absorbs more heat inside the chamber, and will burn more completely once spark is delivered because overall the fuel is more uniform in it's heat absorption. Because it burns slower, you get better or longer "stomp" on the piston head.

·
Banned
143 Posts
sorry OandAWOW but i have to agree with bringler. as he said higher octane fuel is harder to ignite. when the air/fuel is compressed it gets very hot. if there is enough compression, the fuel will ignite before the spark is delivered (detonation) which can ruin your engine. higher octane gas will resist lighting up early so it only burns when the spark hits.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
no, just get 87 octane. There are no benefits to premium gas unless you have FI or higher compression. The zx5 you have will run great on 87. If you are concerned with the quality of gas, look for gas with an additive (Chevron and Texaco use "Techron" as a detergent to keep your engine cleaner from gunk and carbon buildup). I haul fuel for a living-all gas at all stations come from the same loading rack, the only difference is the additive.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Yea just run 87 oct and you will just fine. It is also a good idea to put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in every 3-5 thousand miles to keep your motor running clean. You can always get a tune and then run premium gas. But I do not know if it would be worth the money for the little hp you get get.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
No problem when i run my fuel injector cleaner i usually run it with mid grade gas but thats me idk what other guys do. Just never run high test gas it will make your car have less power unless you have FI or higher compression.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey i been reading around and i wanted to know what would be the best gas for a stock zx5, i been runing reg since i bought the car , but i ve hear that premium last longer, will this affect my engine?? will it have any change??? good ?? or baD?? what do you put in your car??

and what do you guys recomend 91, 93 octane??

thanks fo rthe replies
Only use Marathon! (because I work at the Detroit refinery making the gas and it will help my bonus!). All joking aside I know that my 00 zx3 is built to run on regular gas I use 89.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
So yeah I actually run 89 in my car because on my last couple tanks of 87 my car ran like poo. Damn gas stations and messing with gas quality. Btw I usually use marathon where i live thats all that's really around.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not true. The different grades of gasoline all have detergents and compounds designed to help keep carbon build up to a minimum. Running a higher grade of gas than what is needed can result in incomplete combustion, a buildup of excess carbon onto the combustion chamber surfaces, and can lead to early catalytic converter failure. Higher octane fuel burns more slowly and cooler than regular 87.
This is bs premium is premium for a reason it does not burn more slowly and cooler u can achieve more power out of premium because it burns hotter and and faster but will not pre detonate because if it did you would have serious problem its called timing for a reason fuel will not ignite with heat it has to have a catalyst for example spark or flame Diesle is another subject. Also for example do you know what fuel injector cleaner is?? Its detergents with an octane booster to help burn the carbon away with hotter temps. Also you dont have to have a high compression of forced induction motor to run premium my girl friend 2003eclipse GT calls for 92 minimum and its not turbo or high compresion. Premium fuel can be good because when it burns hotter and faster its burning more completely therefor leaving less carbon build up, carbon build up is basically unburnt fuel that collects.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea just run 87 oct and you will just fine. It is also a good idea to put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in every 3-5 thousand miles to keep your motor running clean. You can always get a tune and then run premium gas. But I do not know if it would be worth the money for the little hp you get get.
And a good Seafoam cleanse through the vacuum lines is helpful as well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts