Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I back out of a drive way or parking spot, stop, put it in drive and head forward. When I brake (only in Drive) it makes a poping/clunking/thud noise. It is in sync with my speed until I stop. It is loud with the windows up, quieter with the windows down, cant hear it with radio on or outside the car. Took it in and shop said brakes were fine, suspension looked great, bushings in good shape, and axles were fine. Any suggestions of what it could be?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, my first guess would have been the CV joint on the axles but if they said they are fine then it may be the tranny, which may be a good thing. I believe the 04' Focus was the beginning year for the 100,000 power train warranty. I think the axles were covered too. I still think it could be the axles, what you can do to double check is find a empty parking lot and see if the noise gets worse when you make a hard right or left turn both backing up and going forward. If it does, then I would suspect the axles more than the Tranny.

Rick

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, my first guess would have been the CV joint on the axles but if they said they are fine then it may be the tranny, which may be a good thing. I believe the 04' Focus was the beginning year for the 100,000 power train warranty. I think the axles were covered too. I still think it could be the axles, what you can do to double check is find a empty parking lot and see if the noise gets wors when you make a hard right or left turn both backing up and going forward. If it does, then I would suspect the axles more than the Tranny.

Rick

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesnt change when I turn. Same noise. Don't think the tranny either because I just had a shift solenoid replaced and everything else looked good. Could it be a warped rotor? The steering wheel shakes at bit when I brake. When I took it in for the brakes there was rust on the rotor so they thought that was the cause of the noise but now that the rust is gone maybe it is warped?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts