Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a '07 Focus with the CD6/Mp3/Am/Fm. I wonder if it has the RDS. I didn't get the one with the sub. I have a Chevy Cavalier that has RDS I think. Is RDS when the station artist and song title scrolls on the headunit when it's on the radio?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Is RDS when the station artist and song title scrolls on the headunit when it's on the radio?

yes... and I am sure the 2007 focus has RDS. Almost all new cars do.

·
Registered
715 Posts
radio data services. it's that thing that embeds title/artist in the song, so your radio can pick it up and display it. in green bay they use it to put ads in too, which sucks. GM really latched on to it, and ford is following.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Fairly useless unless you're around a large city, but pretty nice if you are. Most smaller radio stations around here still dont do the RDS. There's a couple of stations a little over an hour away that broadcasts with RDS and most of them in memphis do also but that's the closest ones around here that do it. Might be different up north though.

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
There is atleast one Sirius tuner being designed to use RDS to display text. It will also use RDS and DSP to provide better SQ supposedly. Also, Kenwood makes a device that uses RDS to support Kenwood CD Changers and various Add-ons on non Kenwood HUs.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Radio Data Services.

(I didn't really know that, I just copied what talon said to make myself sound smarter.)

(I really should'nt type what I'm thinking.)

(I hope nobody reads this.)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
RDS stands for Random Drug Screening. My word of advice, stay out of the carwashes if your car has it! [;)]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I wouldn't know why personally because I've never done illegal drugs.

However, I'm sure it's a great place to smoke because the windows have to be rolled up.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Okay, I really don't want to steal this thread, but this has been on my mind for a while. My mom's 2002 Escape came with RDS built into the Mach Audio system. My cousin's 1994 Cavalier with an *old* Pioneer deck (about 7-8 years old) has RDS. My aunt's old 2001 Impala had it from the factory. Why is it that my deck does not have it (DEH-P7600). I mean, if an eight year old Pioneer has it, why doesn't mine? I'm relatively sure that back when my cousin's Pioneer was made, there were virtually no stations using it. In fact, it was just a few years ago that she noticed song info showing up on the screen. I just think that it weird that my head unit, which is many years newer, along with most other newer decks don't utilize RDS. It would be nice to have....

[/mini rant]

·
Registered
620 Posts
My 05 doesn\'t have it, but my wife\'s 01 Villager does. It also is supposed to pick up emergency radio signals and stuff like that. I\'ve never seen that part of it work......

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pkmgarf said:
Okay, I really don't want to steal this thread, but this has been on my mind for a while. My mom's 2002 Escape came with RDS built into the Mach Audio system. My cousin's 1994 Cavalier with an *old* Pioneer deck (about 7-8 years old) has RDS. My aunt's old 2001 Impala had it from the factory. Why is it that my deck does not have it (DEH-P7600). I mean, if an eight year old Pioneer has it, why doesn't mine? I'm relatively sure that back when my cousin's Pioneer was made, there were virtually no stations using it. In fact, it was just a few years ago that she noticed song info showing up on the screen. I just think that it weird that my head unit, which is many years newer, along with most other newer decks don't utilize RDS. It would be nice to have....

[/mini rant]
the 8 year old model may have been top-of-the-line at the time, and that was included on that level of player. your DEH-P7600 has a few models above it, and the updates on those probably include RDS.

PS my 05 focus doesn't have RDS, but an older alpine I had had it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^I think there was only one unit above mine (wasn't the 8600 top of the line then?), unless you want to include the Premier units. And yes, the 8 year old Pioneer was close to the top of the line, but it still seems odd that a feature that is coming standard on some cars as old as 2001, is not included in close to top of the line unit.

C

·
0 Posts
Radio Data System. Go to "rds.org.uk" or Wikipedia to find out more. Is standard for European Broadcasting Union. Used on all vehicles in UK and Europe. OEM radios and aftermarket units have it as standard. EON is Enhanced Other Networks, TP is Traffic Program, TA is Travel Anouncement, PTY is Program Type, PS is Program Service, and AF is Alternative Frequency. It isnt that big in US or Canada. Hope this helped you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts