Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....I have a 2002 ZTS Zetec ATX with about 54K on it. With Custom intake.

So heres the story....Going to explain it the best i can.

So I was driving home from work last night doing about 65 on the highway and all of a sudden my gas drops out and my RPM goes up (like if you put your car in park and rev it...It goes up but your not moving).

So I put on my flashers and pull over the the shoulder. I start it back up, put it in drive and start out on the shoulder. Get to about 35 and the same thing happens again. Shut the car off and do it all over again. Get up to 30 or so and it happens again and my CEL came on. So I pulled over and called my dad to come follow me just in case. On the way home i discovered that if I accelerate real hard it will go but it will kick very bad (almost like getting punched in the back). When I let off of the gas and then re-accelerate is when the gas cutting out thing happens until I let the RPM drop down to about 1500 and then hit the gas hard again.

So I searched on here alittle and thought maybe the fuel pump. Replaced that and no luck. So I took it to the shop I always go to. Guy tells me it could be my intake rattaling and screwing with my MAF. Have had the damn thing on for about 7 months but thought what the heck Ill try it. So whent to Autozone and bought a brace. No luck.

I really am thinking it could be fuel pump and praying it isnt.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
dnamp05 said:
So I took it to the shop I always go to. Guy tells me it could be my intake rattaling and screwing with my MAF.
It might just be the intake. I had similar problems when I had my POS Bomz intake installed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
sounds to me like tranny problems. Ive never heard of an intake causing that kind of problem.

but anything could happen i guess

goodluck

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
ditto on the trans vote... check your tranny fluid, it sounds like its very low on fluid. Your CEL could have come on due to you revving up the motor in gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its definatly something other than my MAF. I cleaned it with the elctronics spray stuff and put my stock intake back on. CEL light still on and it does the same thing. If its the tranny im just getting rid of the damn thing...

AHHH!!!!! (sorry but I'am so pissed I cant even think!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figuered I would update this. I finally got fed up and took my car in to a transmission place. You guys were right.

It turned out to be my shift selonoid (sp). I never heard of such a thing.

I get my car back in about an hour and its not to bad being $250. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts