Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what if I will remove the resonator/mufler off my 2.0 duratec. Will it sound loud? how loud? will it affect emitions? I think it does not doo much. Is that square thing behind the wheels...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
It will sound like the worlds largest bumble bee....i mean we're talkin huge...it will not pass smog and your neighbors will get sick of it fast..I did it with my truck a while back! just get a nice exhaust!

·
Registered
930 Posts
You can remove the rear resonator and put a straight pipe with a tip and it will sound curiously like an ST.

As for emissions, the mufflers have nothing to do with anything but sound pollution. The car will still be just as clean as before, just louder.

I would just get a good stainless mandrel bent system. I have the MBRP one.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought that might be it, since the reasonator seems too small to really make much of a difference, and the way its in and out wholes are...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i have did it. i did it from the back of the 1st resonator/muffler. it sounds awesome. more like a dodge srt4, but not as loud on the fway. i love it... i did notice some power below 35mph, rather more tq, alot more.... btw, the damn resonartor and pipe is heavy ass hell...

·
Registered
108 Posts
i took off the muffler and lunchbox on my car (06 ses) and you guys are right it is definately pretty loud. i have noticed that it has mellowed out to a deeper tone, but is still just as loud. i am getting a trubendz exhaust in the immediate future (one or two weeks) andi couldnt stand not being able to hear my car until then.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loud? not sure where you cut, but my thing is not loud. sound like a srt4 really, but not as loud or not at all on the highway. i am againsts the ricer fart cans and others, but this actually is pleassing... thanks netdrgoon

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I trashed the lunchbox soon after I bought the car......I get compliments all the time, no lie. My set up is 2.25 from the last cat to the tip...with an 14" glasspack in place of the resonator. Doesn't sound rice at all and its loud....not getting a ticket from the cops loud, but head turning loud.....its plenty deep under 2k then disappears under my intake sound about 4k...

anyway, there is a sound clip of another guy with the same set up as mine, do a search. Sounds great and at around 120 installed lots cheaper than the others....the cheapest being the mbrp which is just a mandrel bent version of mine.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eazyrider_tim said:
I trashed the lunchbox soon after I bought the car......I get compliments all the time, no lie. My set up is 2.25 from the last cat to the tip...with an 14" glasspack in place of the resonator. Doesn't sound rice at all and its loud....not getting a ticket from the cops loud, but head turning loud.....its plenty deep under 2k then disappears under my intake sound about 4k...

anyway, there is a sound clip of another guy with the same set up as mine, do a search. Sounds great and at around 120 installed lots cheaper than the others....the cheapest being the mbrp which is just a mandrel bent version of mine.
what is a 14" glasspack? do you have pics? let me know.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah i'm the one with the video, a glasspack is essentially just a resonator, the good part is they count as mufflers so it is legal at least i'm pretty positive, look for the thread titled 'listen to my ricepack'

i actually used to have a 18 inch one but i have recently changed it to 12 inch, the note is exactly the same just a little bit louder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts