Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have put a system in my 08 SE and was possibly thinkin of changing the HU to aftermarket but what happens with the stock digital readout on the dash? I just think it will look a little funny lol is there some way of plugging it over or something anything will help thanx!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a deck and everyplace i asked beforehand told me i needed an "interface module" in order to have the aftermarket deck work with the factory wiring harness. Anyhow,the display now always just reads "FORD FOCUS" and it is on as long as the key is in the "on" position.Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
299 Posts
First question is do you have SYNC factory installed? I just finished putting in a double dinn HU in my '11, which is exactly the same as your '08. I had/still have SYNC installed. Here's the following items that were needed to install an aftermarket HU and retain the SYNC as well as the steering wheel controls.

1.) PAC Audio MS-FRD1
2.) Metra 99-5816
3.) Axxess ASWC

The screen displays the temperature still, as well as the direction you are facing(compass) as long as you had them before installing the aftermarket HU then they will still work. It also says DVD to the left side.

If I activate SYNC, then the factory screen will display everything like it did before, the only difference is that when listening to your aftermarket HU, it will not display onto the factory screen. Only the SYNC will display there. And if you get a nice HU like I did, then it should do everything the SYNC does and more anyways. I wanted to keep it just for reassurance that it's there.

If you do not have the SYNC system, the same adapter's will work, but you could save a little money by buying Metra's wiring harness instead of the PAC one. Either one will work with or without SYNC. I believe the model numbers for Metra's version of the wiring harness is Axxess AFSI-02 (the one without the seperate LCD display) or Axxess AFSI-01 (includes seperate LCD display). I am not sure if the Axxess version of the wiring harness still displays all of the info on the factory screen or not. I would just buy the PAC to be safe.

Also, the PAC wiring harness I got included a LCD display with buttons to use the SYNC. That is for other Ford vehicles that have the screen built-in to the factory radio, therefore they need a seperate screen. I hooked the seperate screen up and put it in the glove box, just in case I ever need it since the steering wheel controls are the only way to control SYNC, since the HU is gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually i did install the interface....the display on the top of the dash reads as i stated,FORD FOCUS.Its not an issue,i guarantee i will never forget what i am driving!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
ditto on the display question

I just installed a pioneer deh-p8400bh with c2r-frd1 but the display only says 'DVD' when running. I didnt have SYNC and I have an SE coupe, 09. Guess I could disable the whole display????

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just installed a pioneer deh-p8400bh with c2r-frd1 but the display only says 'DVD' when running. I didnt have SYNC and I have an SE coupe, 09. Guess I could disable the whole display????
You can easily unplug the display and have nothing display on it by simply lifting up on the plastic dash piece above it. It just pops up. And if you really wanted to you can just as easily remove the screen itself if you have plans to put something else in that area. I kept mine there since it still has the temperature display as well as the digital compass display, which I like having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts