Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 ZX3 basically all stock and was looking to upgrade to a CAI. I have a homemade short ram on right now but am looking for something more 'official' and good looking. It appears as though Iceman intakes are no longer produced and I can only find Volants at double their actual worth (close to $400 from Volant.com)... Why are all the good intakes at a reasonable price off the market? Or am i just doing terrible at finding them?

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
No more market for that year car most likely..................

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I mean the car is what 14 years old now? I just figured with it being such a popular car with a strong upgrade market that the parts would be available longer. I mean i can still get parts for my 96 oldsmobile... Haha. If anybody knows how i can get my hands on a GOOD box style CAI I'd really appreciate if you could let me know!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You already named it - the Volant was the only "box type" around for long, and it's now avail. again.

Tube & Cone filter, K&N or otherwise, is the only common aftermarket intake for ANY car I've seen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in an environment with rapidly changing weather conditions including a ton of rain and snow, so I'm fearful to put one of the popular tube and cone cold air intakes on... I mean how effective are the bypass valves really? And with temps in the winter of 10 degrees, sometimes as low as -10, rumors of failed cold starts also haunt me... Plus I'm not sure how my garage would handle a non-stock intake with inspection(pennsylvania)...

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Injen also made the box type air box. It basically just removed the top of your airbox, added a conical air filter, a silicone hose to the throttle body and then you attached it to the bottom of the airbox. A really good upgrade for it was to use an SVT airbox bottom with the SVT snorkel. They came in colors of black, silver, blue, red and yellow.

Bypass valves are effective for doing what they need to do. But you have to make sure you check it often as something may get lodged in it and keep the valve open allowing particles to come inside through it. That is not likely to happen though, just an extreme possibility. Most of the by-pass valves have a sponge filter around them though to prevent such things. And for what it's worth, it is very unlikely that you would suck up enough water to do any damage to your engine through a CAI anyways. In order for you to hydrolock, you would have to literally dip the entire air cone into the water to even get enough water to damage the motor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you would be willing to personally promise that I will have no problems with a tube and cone type CAI? Haha

Is a $50 setup off ebay as good as the $200+ ones? Or is there a reason they're so expensive? It seems to me like a couple metal pipes and a filter should NOT cost more than $100...

And will it pass inspection?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
there is an Ingen intake in the BUY-SELL-TRADE section IIRC

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I certainly don't mind! Thanks for sharing that link! Anybody know if that will pass Pennsylvania inspection?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's OK to post up sources & reviews of them, as long as you aren't part of the company & posting up ads for it. (limits on advertising, even for sponsors)

CA is the only state I've heard of that requires approval for intakes/filters. Hopefully a PA resident will confirm for you soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as I know you're correct. A volant system should have an EO number on it for CARB exemption too. I just want to be absolutely sure, a college kid can't drop $200 for an intake and then not be able to use it haha. I could always swap for stock come inspection though...

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
fswerks offers the cool flow, which is just really a shield with a ITG filter..

my only gripe with CAI is that if you dont have a bypass for water you risk hydrolocking your engine if you suck water in..

personally best bang for buck is try to find a svt intake box with snorkel and such. and use that along with header, exhaust, and you will see a large improvement.

you can also browse the forsale section here and on the fb marketplace

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I think we may have talked about that earlier in this thread... Right now I believe I am just going to save up and get a volant and 65mm throttle body (my tb is warped and sticks) then maybe later I'll figure out what I can do as far as exhaust... Id LOVE to get enough power to do a decent burnout and pull out in front of traffic without fearing a rear-end haha (not that I often pull out in front of people without a significant gap) but I don't want something obnoxiously loud either... I heard an FSwerks stealth would fit that description quite well... Thanks for all the help so far guys!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Found this intake at the pick a part while I was looking at odds and ends for my car..... As you can see the intake tube is a lot more different than the standard intake I've seen, I was wondering if this is worth the purchase? Seems to have some sort of additional air box right over the valve covers

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The air box is sitting right on top of the engine where it will absorb heat. The factory box that sits off to the left will be better anyway as it is tucked off to the side and the tube doesn't have to make as harsh a bend.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
So a box w/ a cone filter and svt snorkel and lower box provides best gains? Am I understanding this correct?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I have a svt lower box with K&N filter for sale if your intrested. Looks complete stock except for the snorkel and tube is just bigger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts