Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spruce up my interior with a guage. I'm not sure what my first choice should be. But I do have some questions-

1) Does brand matter? (are they more accurate)
2) Do the usually come with what you need to hook it up?

As for the type of gauge... Air/Fuel, Transmission Temp, Oil Temp, or Oil Pressure

I know this probly depends on what engine mods I will be doing down the line, take a look at my signature.

PS- I really like the looks and idea of the tinted gauges from www.glowshift.com Are they legit or a POS?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I like the Autometer Cobalt series...mainly because they match my Speedhut white day/blue night reverse gauge face. Most mechanical gauges come with the necessary hardware to connect them, but the same isn't true for electrical gauges.

For practicality, I'd suggest a water temperature, oil temperature and oil pressure gauge...or maybe replace the oil temperature gauge with a volt meter depending on what you want. A transmission temperature sensor isn't going to do much for you unless you're going to build up an automatic transmission and then run a ton of power into it. A/F gauges can be useful, but only if you get a wideband O2 sensor and a high-quality gauge (otherwise it does little more than be a lightshow...and they can be obnoxious, especially at night.)

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
Please do not endanger your life by using a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Do not endanger your electrical system by installing an ammeter. This gauge does not have a practical OTR purpose aside of monitoring electrical brakes on a trailer, and some companies give you an ammeter with directions showing to basically ground your electrical system through the gauge.

I like those with lighted needles. Voltometers are good- especially if you have an amplifier. Oil pressure/temp gauges are good. Coolant temp- Ford's appear to be faked. Air/fuel is most important if you have FI/Nitrous. A vacuum gauge is ok if you just have a space to fill, and you could pull an old ChryCo trick and change the face out for a face that says "Performance" (wheee) if you just want something not too many people have seen to fill a third space on a dash mount pod.

[idea]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
For practical use, my suggestion is an oil pressure guage. Im partial to autometer guages but there are plenty of other guages out there. Once i can get some money together im going to get some Defi gauges but they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have an ATX and I'm quite qorried about it, I'm thinking it might be the most useful. But they don't have that in the glowguages that I like.... :(

I def do not PLAN to go FI so I'm not sure if the pressure guage will do much good for me...

Thanks for the usefull info guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts