Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first attempt at painting something on my car. I used Dupli-color Metalcast ground coat, and Metalcast blue top coat (plus adhesion promoter). I think the color matches the AEM intake pretty good. The metal flakes in the paint look great up close and in the sunlight (although you can't really tell from the crappy picture). Overall, I am very pleased how it came out, except for the fuse box cover. It seems that a little bit of dust crept in while I was spraying and you can see the little buggers in the paint. I'll probably redo it when I get a chance. Also, it seems that even after drying, there is some residual blue "dust" when you touch the part. Is this normal????

Anyways, what do you guys think????? (Sorry about the camera-phone quality pic)

Should I paint the spark plug wire cover??? I was afraid at it being too much blue, but now it seems that it might be a good idea to even out the blueness in the engine bay.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I like it, now get ya a strut bar and paint it also.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
hhhmmm, if you were to get a strut bar, have it powdercoated. i say this only cuz you will want to get velcro or something soft between it and the intake. these two items like to rub only cuz of the height of the intake. looks good man[thumb] keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i have had no issues with rubbing in my car with the air intake and the srut tower bar

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
looks good. Like the blue. as far as painting the spark plug wire cover I say
just tape off the SVT nameplate and have at it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A strut bar is the second on my "to-do" list. Next up is a Short Shifter.

So Yay or nay on the painted plug cover?????

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The "dust" you are referring to could be from having the can too far away from the part or waving the can too fast across the part. If this is the case, the paint dries before it hits the part and creates the dusty effect. Holding the can closer while spraying and/or slowing down your paint stroke might help.

It takes practice to get the paint wet but not wet enough to run.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhhh, I was afraid to put the can too close (because of of the run), but I'll see about slowing down the stroke. I did wave it pretty fast. Oh well, the great thing is that I can sand and reapply over and over and over (at least I think I can).......

Also, can I use a very fine sandpaper to take off the "dust" without stripping or dulling the paint???

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Artood2s said:
Ohhhh, I was afraid to put the can too close (because of of the run), but I'll see about slowing down the stroke. I did wave it pretty fast. Oh well, the great thing is that I can sand and reapply over and over and over (at least I think I can).......

Also, can I use a very fine sandpaper to take off the "dust" without stripping or dulling the paint???
I'm not sure, I always just wiped the dust off the put on another coat. You could try polishing the part, it will take off the dust but may not get rid of any blemishes the dust left (if any). If that works it will save you some re-painting.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Looks very good, I agree with Mike, throw on a strut brace color matched and that'll compliment the rest of your work.....

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
looks great[thumb] blue compliments silver is so many ways

i say paint the sp cover. i painted mine but i removed the aluminum "powered by svt" emblem. i've yet to "reglue" it back down though, don't know what to use lol. if you do get a strut bar make sure you get something between that and your cai. mine rubs pretty damn bad no paint left where they meet. i still want to paint my battery and fuse covers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks good, how did you get the fuse cover off?

·
Registered
705 Posts
to get the fuse cover off, lift up on the side that clips down (I think the side closer to the outside) then pivot it until it is straight up. Once there pull it up and off, wiggling it side to side helps. Carfull putting it back on, make sure it is 100% dry, I've smudged my paint not once, but twice because of my impatience. I usually have a flathead screwdriver handy to pop the inner side back in. From my experiences, it doesnt like going back on too easily, but its not hard.

Edit: Make sure to cover the screwdriver with a towel/rag as to not ruin the paint

·
Registered
705 Posts

You can see how patience is key. That was my first screw up, the second one wasnt so bad

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll definately do the strut bar, but I'm still contemplating the plug cover. I don't want to over do the blue theme. I'm going with a sporty yet clean look.

Thanks for the compliments, I highly recommend the Meatlcast paints, they look amazing in the sun (especially the metal flakes). And thanks to the "how-to" thread for helping me get it mostly right the first time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts