Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have an HID kit, post what you have and how you like them! If you don't have them, post what you think about them on cars that you've seen with them!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
HID's in projectors, love them especially when they are of the white/light blue variety.

HID's in halogen light sockets, hate them and I don't hesitate from flashing drivers that try using them in improper housings even though they blind everyone else around them. If I can't see, you might as well not be able to see either. [deviltail]

(OK, I don't recommend that kind of behavior and I do hesitate. Just a little)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got an hid kit for my car, and I love them, I know a guy in town that has a 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP edition, and that car is absolutely beautiful, he said he would be willing to sell to me :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use a FX-R projector retrofit kit with XB55 ballasts and XB35 lamps found at theretrofitsource.com. A proper HID retrofit (that is, fitting a projector assembly inside your factory head light housing) will direct all of the extra lumens an HID lamp is capable of onto the road in a uniform wide beam pattern. The sharp cutoff of a projector is not designed to be cool but to protect oncoming drivers from being blinded by the extra light. When B-holes buy HID ballasts and rebased capsules to replace their halogen lamp the light is scattered uncontrolled and uneven. The reflector that was designed to focus the light from a sharp origin point (filament). A broad capsule will result in hot spots on the road and excess light blinding oncoming drivers. This, combined with the usual 6000k+ colors most cheap ricers use will most likely result in LESS usable light than your factory headlights.

Like the previous post, when cars/trucks with their cheap kits approach me head on (and no one is behind them) I will burn their eyes through the back of their skull once I pull the high beam and focus all light at them. Sometimes they try to flash me back, but their cheap kits need to re-ignite the lamp because they lack a capacitor to sustain the lamp while switching between beams.

Anyway, cheap kits are a big NO. You're just a jerk to other drivers and you look like a fool to those who actually understand lighting. If you are running projectors and quality components, you'll have a reliable lighting system that will illuminate the road like you've never seen before!

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Moved this to "MK1 Focus". HID in the standard halogen headlights are an absolute nightmare for oncoming traffic. As 02fordsvt stated, that as long as they are in a retrofitted projector housing or similar, they are fine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
3157 for the turn signals/parking lights in the grille. As far as projectors in stock headlight housings, I have been there and done it. Personally wont do it again. I ran a set of 10000K is my old ZX3 with stock housings. The light throw wasnt that great, and blinded everyone. At the time I didnt care though. I would just look away when people flashed me.

That was 7 years ago. With my current ZX3, I ran the same setup for about 3 days, and then for some reason it hit me that it was kinda stupid and I couldnt see that well, so I yanked them back out.

Would I run HIDs again? Probably, but I would set it up right. The best color combos for visibility will 5000k pure white, or 6000k the 95% white/5% blue combo.

These are purely my opinions based off what I have run in multiple vehicles over the past 7-8 years.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,118 Posts
Against all the hate...I ordered some 3000K HID's for my fogs on my 2002 SE. Bought them from DDM tuning. Should get them by Wednesday I think.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Against all the hate...I ordered some 3000K HID's for my fogs on my 2002 SE. Bought them from DDM tuning. Should get them by Wednesday I think.
The yellow ones dont seem to be as blinding as the blue ones though. That might just be my perspective though.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,118 Posts
I would agree with that 100%. The blue is blinding. Plus being low 2 inches and fogs being small it shouldn't be that bad at all.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Moved this to "MK1 Focus". HID in the standard halogen headlights are an absolute nightmare for oncoming traffic. As 02fordsvt stated, that as long as they are in a retrofitted projector housing or similar, they are fine.
Ditto^^^^^ Hate the hid kits in standard housings,,,

·
Registered
577 Posts
HIDs are cool, but like everyone else has said thay have to be properly used. If I was law enforcement I would ticket all the "tuners" that put HIDs in the stock housing.

I've been thinking about retrofitting some projectors into the stock housings. I'm not sure how projectors would look in Mk1.5 housings. It is something I'm interested, though. I love the look of HIDs. It's hard to mimic the wide beam and light output that HIDs have with Halogens. Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's are a good substitute for the time being. Doing a projector retrofit is going to cost about $300 for the projectors and HIDs and ballasts, but not including the headlights housings I need.

Has anyone had problems with their stock lens cracking? Mine seem to be spiderwebbing from the inside. I've broken them open to paint the housings, but the lens look awful now. I had problems with sealing the housing so I'm guessing the moisture build up and heat from the headlamp cause the lens to fracture slowly.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Uh oh...you found me...i mean,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[poke]

Should be fine in the fog housing.
HIDs create alot of heat, though. I've heard people have problems with the fog light housings. Let me know if you have any problems. I may see what I can do to build a custom heat shield. I really want some 3000k fog lights.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,118 Posts
HIDs create alot of heat, though. I've heard people have problems with the fog light housings. Let me know if you have any problems. I may see what I can do to build a custom heat shield. I really want some 3000k fog lights.
They should be here today or tomorrow. I stuck with the 35w for that reason, so it doesn't get too hot, but we will see.

If you are interested in doing a retro fit of sorts, go to the pick yard and find you 2 decent headlights to try it out with. But 300 does sound about right to do it correctly, maybe a little higher...

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,118 Posts
I don't know how you could make a heat shield to go on the lens of the fog light without reducing visibility.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I do not have them YET. But I want some of the 3000k for my Fogs and I want to do my head lights as well. Nothing to bright but something a bit better than my Silverstars.

But I can not stand the damn blue/purple ones that people run and think are cool. Mainly it's the Ass-hats in the lifted trucks and the old guys thinking they are cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do not have them YET. But I want some of the 3000k for my Fogs and I want to do my head lights as well. Nothing to bright but something a bit better than my Silverstars.

But I can not stand the damn blue/purple ones that people run and think are cool. Mainly it's the Ass-hats in the lifted trucks and the old guys thinking they are cool.
3000k fogs are awesome! I have 10,000k headlights, depends on the brand you get.. Mine are pretty blue but it's s lighter blue and it looks awesome, great visibility in night, in all weather, I'm from Minnesota.. With very bi-polar weather...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts