Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as of now i have a stock zx3. i am looking into getting toms turbo and running it at 9-12psi and getting 3" trubendz w/ a borla or magnaflow muffler and a trubendz 3" flexpipe. right now i just want something with a bit of a bite and this seems to work. any other ideas would be helpful!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well instead of spending $5800 to only run that much psi he just came out with a new turbo kit with like a GT20 turbo or something like that which will run at 8-10 psi and give you 200-210 whp and about 220-230 wtq. It's only $2695 or so. Not tuning comes with it though.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
GT 20 will run out of breath quick. You will be in and out of boost at very low rpm's. This would be the equivalent to the low hp #'s produced by oem manufacturers for production cars (usa).
Go with a GT28 and support more boost at higher rpms...much more power.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
So I just looked over at the focus-power site. I'm sure tom will weigh in at some point, but I'm not sure I see the point of this kit. Granted, for about $3500...tuning included, you have 200 whp...220 ftlbs tq...but an internal wastegate and no intercooler...I guess you could add the intercooler later...but with such limited headroom with the gt20...you might as well get a larger turbo too. I'd be interested in seeing a dyno of this set up.

·
FF Affiliate
30,872 Posts
I come out with a turbo kit for less money for everyone that sais " all i want to run is 8 to 10 psi " and all i hear is what can be done to upgrade it later

If you are going to upgrade it later just buy tha kit i have now and save you some money

Sure the GT20 is a small turbo but with no intercooler you cannot support more than 10psi so why waste spool time for PSI you cannot use anyway

This is an entry level turbo kit for someone that will NEVER want to upgrade ,If you are going to upgrade buy my now existing kit

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Tom,
You know what. You're right. I guess it's just you know how it goes, no matter what it is or how it comes, somebody will want to tinker with it to get more power. I'm not saying your choice of turbo or this kit is a bad idea per say, but without the option to more power, this may be a limiting factor. The price is great for what you offer, and ofcourse there is nothing but great confidence in your tuning and quality/backing of your product. I just think you might want to consider building upgrades into the package for people who can't foot the whole bill up front, but will be able to down the road. Either way, we've all been dying for an affordable kit from you. I'm sure you'll sell the hell out of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looking around, Tom's kit isnt a bad deal. You won't really find anything better. that is the reason why i am look into getting it. no questions asked.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Its as simple as this (this is what tom is saying)

If you want a lil extra power to get you around just some more umph then get the cheaper kit

If your ever want to make your car into a powerhungry beast I mean give it some crazy amounts of power get the more expensive kit

Its the same idea as the difference between a JRSC and a Vortech the JRSC is cheaper and its good but its not gonna ever give you any super amazing power the Vortech on the other hand can make the car have some real power

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
i think the kid is an good idea...
for people who only want toboost their car a little...and not looking for 400 whp

i wo!d buy it...if i can upgrade to an intercoler and a bigger turbo down the road....
some times you dont have the money for a 6k turbo but eventually can put it together...start small and go from there..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i want toms full kit because i am looking to up the boost ne ways. right now i am just taking it slow. one other question i had is what would i need to do to be able to run 14-17psi? i read somewhere in here that tom recomended a 65mm tb, cam gears, and a clutch and lsd for high boost. what does he consider high enough for the cluth and lsd i am not sure. could someone please help me out here?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your stock clutch can probably take some abuse, you'll definately notice when you start wearing it out anyway.

But on the issue of an LSD, I think an LSD is almost a must for 200whp car, I don't know if you'd break the stock differential, but a good LSD makes the power so much more managable, and it will make the car more fun to drive.

I'm building a custom turbo on my 2.0 zetec focus, and once I'm done I plan on buying a quaife LSD asap! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you think i could run 14-17 psi with toms turbo with the following:
65mm TB
Cam Gears
Stage I Cams
LSD
3" exhaust

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Email or PM tom he can tell you

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Tom if you wanted to run that high of a psi would you have to run that high of a fuel or are there other things you could do so you wouldn't have to

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tom, rigth now i am looking into ur turbo and full 3" exhaust, possibly cams and cam gears but i am not sure. how high boost can i run off that with pump gas?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts