Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Not ST swap stuff, but anything else. What do y'all think of it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using FF Mobile
I'd think that'd be up to you....Yea I get the basic mods such as st wheel/tire assemblies, st brake upgrade which'll improve your handling & more then that, I'd say its a waste of time & cash. If you really wanted a st or a performance vehicle, why not get one then to start with? Like others have mentioned= two different vehicles.....One for the mass pubic & one for the driving enthusiasts....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like cars to be mostly stock for one reason - I like to go on long road trips with them. Unless a car is properly modded it is very difficult for them to be reliable. And the last thing I want is breaking down in the middle of nowhere like Kansas.

Besides, why not just get an ST and go for something like Cobb Tuning? Just my two cents

·
Registered
439 Posts
Some people have to have a back up car for the family who can't drive a stick. [:(] Plus there are more modifications for the ST then the SE or Titanium. I found the TSUDO ST Race 3" exhaust for under $400 and it's way cheaper then other systems.

The only reason for me to change the Front bumper to an ST or RS is for Aero. They don't make any for the S-Titanium. Well that's unless you have a good shipping person or company that can ship from Europe. They have allot of Front and Rear bumpers, still might have to modify them for the US.

I can't leave normal alone. I have certain things I'll do to make mine different then the others and faster then normal. I've done this to 3 different Mustangs before the Focus which is about the same size of the 2011 Escape.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Shouldn't really make any difference to anyone other than yourself. It's your money, your car and should be your pride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am a "Modder". I have a 2012 SEL hatch. Not all mods are intended stricktly for performance. I have done the muffler delete (for sound), K&N drop in with RS lid, Snorkel delete and mini ram air hose. Call it placebo but it feels like it has more pick up but the purpose of modifying on my part was fuel economy. I am averaging 40.7 mpg (40% city/60% hwy). I drive 500 miles weekly and was averaging 37 before the mods. There are a few more things I can do but 3-4 mpg for $200 was worth it in my book.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
What I don’t get is this: Why spend 2-3k with mods on a commuter SE, when for 16-17k you can buy a low mileage ST? Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Problem with buying a "low-mileage" ST is that you're only going to find ones that were abused, plasti-dipped, ebay modified, repo'd, etc.

You can buy a "low-mileage" mk3 SE for less than $10k. The question becomes "Why spend more on a junked ST when you can get a well-kept SE and save more than $5k?"

·
Registered
182 Posts
And a nicely modded SE makes a better commuter because the mpg can double that of an ST. I wanted an ST but didn't want the low 20s mpg and mostly commute. A 5 speed SE with wheels/tires and a good sway bar, maybe a tune, is still an entertaining car to drive, nice to look at, cheap to insure, and cheap to fill up. That being said, my next car will probably be an 18 ST since hopefully it will be time for a weekend toy by that point.

·
Registered
871 Posts
A 5 speed SE with wheels/tires and a good sway bar, maybe a tune, is still an entertaining car to drive, nice to look at, cheap to insure, and cheap to fill up.
Mine is mostly stock and I know it's not even close to an ST's performance, but it's a good commuter. Cheap to buy/insure, 37+ mpg hwy and it's comfortable on trips.

But, when I beat the hell out of it, it's quick enough to be fun and handles great on the factory 17's and suspension.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've noticed it's a little tippy in corners on the factory 17s and factory continental tires. I swear my 12 super base SE handled far better than my 15 SE sport and it had 15" wheels. Now granted it had the steeda rear sway bar the first week of ownership and I don't have one yet for my 15. I'm hoping the RSB will tighten up the steering just a bit by eliminating some of the body flex and roll when you jiggle the steering wheel or make a rapid lane change.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I really wouldn't think they care.....ppl do what they're going to do whether its cost effective or not....Most seem to want to throw $50. to $200/300. at aesthetics vs function......I'd think most would be best served w/ a stock st to begin with & pay it off vs throwing miscellaneous parts/stuff at a stop gap vehicle.......

·
Registered
182 Posts
I track all my vehicle expenses in a spreadsheet that lists mechanical vs aestetic investments and includes everything from oil changes to wiper blades. I've got $1200 into mine split pretty evenly between aesthetics and mechanical expenses (including new wheels and tires). For the money, I've got a very unique Focus that is comfortable, cheap to insure, cheap to gas up, and cheap to maintain.

An ST would have cost 8-10k more than I paid for my low miles 5speed SE Hatch. I think I'm on the right side of the math.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts