1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Ummm... i don't think that you hook it up to the spark plug wires. Usually you need a converter module to send the signal from your ECU to the light itself.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
so yea do a search and it will be crazy easy from there. and if you have a svt you will need to spend the money on the tach adaptor. i have been down this road before!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
i though they could just pull the signal from the wires like a tach, but looks like i'm wrong. not the first time, and not the last. i'm glad you guys corrected me though

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have an SVT just a regular ZX3... my speedo has tach already... so do i need that autometer rpm module with the shift light and that's it or do i need something else.. that's what i want to know ..

all the parts that i need beside the shift light..

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ahh, why? You do alot of 1/4 mile runs at the track?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys for the info..

here's a found a PDF on how to Install the ProForm....
http://www.streetperformance.com/mistore/ART/MIGIheaders/100719/67005C-SC-BC-RC.pdf

Now All i need is this ProForm, For what i gather from the website i don't need the tach adapter or pills.

I don't do 1/4 miles yet,,but when i do my autocross I don't like when i reach 7,200 rpm Plus I am thinking on taking the car to the 1/4 mile track... I'm curious on how my car does....

·
Registered
622 Posts
That looks slick! I was just getting at the shift light on my dash, I never look at it and it actually bugs me. That thing would be great on the strip and autocross, but can you switch it off for regular driving?

·
Registered
163 Posts
<DOH![?]> Just curious... WHY do want a shift light?? Personally, I find the damned thing to be annoying. I'm going to rip that son-of-a-bitch outa there, clip the wires, do SOMETHING to shut off that infernal, distracting light.[mad]

Actually putting in a shift light aftermarket seems excessively complicated (i.e. expensive) for a device that offers so little in the way of benefit. [scratch]Am I missing something? Is there actually a real USE for these things?

F.Y.I. - You are the first person I have met - in person, online, over the telephone, shouting across a gorge - who has ever admitted to even liking the upshift lights, let alone showing an interest in actually paying good money to install one from the aftermarket.

You can have mine![:D]

·
Registered
571 Posts
ummmmm i could be wrong but i think with a chip or a flash you can set you stock shift light to light at a certain time. i could be wrong but that would be cheaper and better than buying a shift light cencer. just my 2c's

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the one that comes with the factory speedo i never even see it.. so that one doesn't bother me.. again the reason i want to install the aftermarket is so i know when i'm getting ready to pass the 6,900 rpm mark my red limit i think tom set it to 7,200 rpm but i don't want to let the rpm go that high... and now that i have turbo i can't really tell when to shift because the motor rev up pretty quick as soon that boost kicks in... So with the aftermarket shiftlight that should help me on when to shift since that light is alot brighter than the factory shift light... and when i'm not racing you can still cover up the shiftlight so it doesn't goes off .. but I'm going to have it setup up high so when i'm driving normally not racing it should not go off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
bonejob said:
<DOH![?]> Just curious... WHY do want a shift light?? Personally, I find the damned thing to be annoying. I'm going to rip that son-of-a-bitch outa there, clip the wires, do SOMETHING to shut off that infernal, distracting light.[mad]

Actually putting in a shift light aftermarket seems excessively complicated (i.e. expensive) for a device that offers so little in the way of benefit. [scratch]Am I missing something? Is there actually a real USE for these things?

F.Y.I. - You are the first person I have met - in person, online, over the telephone, shouting across a gorge - who has ever admitted to even liking the upshift lights, let alone showing an interest in actually paying good money to install one from the aftermarket.

You can have mine![:D]
If you 1/4 mile or autocross, shift lights are great! You don't have to take your eyes off the road to keep looking at the tach.

This isn't like the shift light in the cluster that tells you when to shift for better gas milage.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
hey i don't care what everybody else says, about two tach or a shift light. if you do it right it looks good. i went to the strip one time and thats all that i need to make me go and buy one! i'll be here for moral support hehehe

·
Registered
500 Posts
installman said:
If you 1/4 mile or autocross, shift lights are great! You don't have to take your eyes off the road to keep looking at the tach.

This isn't like the shift light in the cluster that tells you when to shift for better gas milage.
I go almost every weekend to the drag strip and this summer I plan on auto crossing with my club, I am thinking of gettin just a shift light too.

Just FYI if you didnt know at least with the 05s when you are racing the car or are at WOT the shift light in the cluster come on when your at about 5500rpm. And the SCT Excal II allows you to change when the shift light comes on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mounted a ProForm Shift Light on my '02 SVT. Doesn't use a pill, and has that great little dial on the back for setting your shift point. Had to connect it to a FRPP Tach Driver though, as it's an older model. Mounted it directly to the steering wheel shroud, and covered the light with a piece of charcoal-colored foam to eliminate some of the brightness. When I'm taking the shift to redline, I always go by the light, as the upper band of the tach is obscured by the steering wheel. Works great everytime!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey BlueOhTwo

you said you had to use a tach driver is that becuase you have the old proform. since for what i see on the website it says no tach driver required.. i just want to make sure....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my ProForm back in Jan of '03, and it needed a digital signal from the SVT CKP to trigger the RPM switch, which is what the Ford Tach Driver provides. I haven't looked at the newer ProForms, but if they don't need the Tach Driver to convert the signal, that's cool... saves a few dineros.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts