Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to fully build my engine. What all do I need to do? It's the zetec motor. Thanks.

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
You are asking such an open ended question that its not going to be answered with to much respect.

I have house I want to remodel the kitchen, what should I do....

Are you boosted? looking for power? rebuild it stock? make it stronger? whats your price point? what work are you going to do your self? do you have a 2nd motor to work on while you are rebuilding? what is your time line?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are asking such an open ended question that its not going to be answered with to much respect.

I have house I want to remodel the kitchen, what should I do....

Are you boosted? looking for power? rebuild it stock? make it stronger? whats your price point? what work are you going to do your self? do you have a 2nd motor to work on while you are rebuilding? what is your time line?
Apologies. I am boosted. Looking to raise my boost level from 8psi (current) to 15psi. I want to make over 300hp. Close to 400 would be nice but 300 is good enough for me. I'd be doing the work myself. I do not have a second motor. My timeline is within 1 year. My price point is yet to be determined. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Great reply by Magus2727.

Based on your wording in the initial post, it seems like you have never built an engine, -or never built an engine of this type, correct?

If this is your first engine build (I assume it is) this is a learning adventure correct? GREAT! -please-please go forward, but you gotta set & understand the money & learning-time needed to do this AND the tooling & likely some outsourced(?) machining needed during this adventure.

The flip-side of this coin is: Purchase a "built" engine (with a warranty) and give that company you core engine to reduce these costs.

The flip-side of this coin is: Consider building a newer engine type. Even if that engine is inside a different model Focus or inside a different car type.

Please note that these old cars with built engines are a money pit and you will not recover these costs during future resell value of the car. Also, the thrill of creating & improving & making a higher-performance car (in any league) is priceless.

Please chose your league and your build; this is usually based on your desired car types & likes + budget.

Is this car the exact year & model AND is this your firm choice for an engine build? It is almost never too late to reconsider the car platform for an engine build; especially if this is your first.

<< Note: The OP has not discussed desires if the car is to be a FAST-Focus milk-getter, or a track car, or a rally car, -or a hybrid of these types...? >>

Engine build budget (and other choices) must be very well researched & decided upon ASAP or... kinda-sorta required in advance of going forward.

DISCLAIMER: I have never built any engine. My comments here are only meant to question & influence the OP in desire and direction.

Good luck snailzx3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great reply by Magus2727.

Based on your wording in the initial post, it seems like you have never built an engine, -or never built an engine of this type, correct?

If this is your first engine build (I assume it is) this is a learning adventure correct? GREAT! -please-please go forward, but you gotta set & understand the money & learning-time needed to do this AND the tooling & likely some outsourced(?) machining needed during this adventure.

The flip-side of this coin is: Purchase a "built" engine (with a warranty) and give that company you core engine to reduce these costs.

The flip-side of this coin is: Consider building a newer engine type. Even if that engine is inside a different model Focus or inside a different car type.

Please note that these old cars with built engines are a money pit and you will not recover these costs during future resell value of the car. Also, the thrill of creating & improving & making a higher-performance car (in any league) is priceless.

Please chose your league and your build; this is usually based on your desired car types & likes + budget.

Is this car the exact year & model AND is this your firm choice for an engine build? It is almost never too late to reconsider the car platform for an engine build; especially if this is your first.

<< Note: The OP has not discussed desires if the car is to be a FAST-Focus milk-getter, or a track car, or a rally car, -or a hybrid of these types...? >>

Engine build budget (and other choices) must be very well researched & decided upon ASAP or... kinda-sorta required in advance of going forward.

DISCLAIMER: I have never built any engine. My comments here are only meant to question & influence the OP in desire and direction.

Good luck snailzx3
Thank you for your comment. It got me thinking a little more. It will be my first build and I'm hoping to learn more. Resell value is not an issue to me, as I don't plan on selling the car. It means a lot to me. I may be idiotic for trying this but I'll never learn if I don't try. I would like to do this engine. If I decided on purchasing one, where would I do so? Would it be cheaper than doing it myself? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
... It means a lot to me. I may be idiotic for trying this but I'll never learn if I don't try....
That is the spirit of this and most other car forums. You gotta try and want to learn. The typical handicap is those that do not have time and/or money. If you have any bit of those, please go for it.

...If I decided on purchasing one, where would I do so?...
I have previously (few years ago?) web searched 2.3 engines, and found some great deals, but have no experience to suggest any company. Key differences lie within those engines & companies that offer used untested/tested/semi-rebuilt/rebuilt/performance-built engines with & without a warranty. So the price range is A to Z.

... Would it be cheaper than doing it myself?
No. Price-wise, it is cheaper doing it yourself; plus and minus the xyz factors. If you fail or struggle too much in your engine build efforts, it might be more expensive money & time wise in the long run.

But your ultimate goal is to learn engine builds right? AND the car can be side-lined for a few months or a year right?

If I was your next door neighbor, we would likely agree to only do an engine build by ourselves and not buy a rebuilt engine-in-a-box. And then learn as we go. But only if you kinda-like meticulous and careful workmanship, -and pizza, -and beer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts